Still searching for a Yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by zamibc, Oct 23, 2004.

1. zamibc

zamibc Junior Member

If you had to choose between used Swan 56 (1995) and a brand new Beneatue 57, or brand new Jeanneau 54, assumung very little price diferential and Swan in good quality, what will you choose?
    Sailing area: Med
    Sailing period: Mostly summers, good weather
    Sailing profile: Mainly family orianted
    Skill level: 6 (out of 10)

Thanks a lot

Zami

2. zamibc

zamibc Junior Member

I am happy to inform the forum that Jeanneau 54 is the winner

It took some time but overall the Jeanneau 54 is the clear winner
    Thank you all

3. User_U

User_U Junior Member

your choise

O.K. - maybe you hve choosen your ideal boat but maybe it is interesting for you to know that we gonna sell our Hanse 531 which is completely equipped (SIMRAD-radar, tender, lot of extras) and has been bought for more than 520.000 € for 70.000 € less after half a saison sailing.

look at Hanse Yachts

regards, Udo

4. aerlegal

aerlegal New Member

Hanse 531

Why are you selling your Hanse 531 after only one season? Are you disappointed with the boat? I m a little concerned because I have ordered a new, epoxy made, carbon rig (the rig is custom made) Hanse 531, hull number 47, delivery January 2006, and reading your message I have started fearing that the boat may have some hidden defects thatI didn't spot when I inspected and sailed her.

An account of your experiences as former owner of an Hanse 531 will be highly appreciated. A few pics of your hanse will be a real gift.

Best regards

Raffaele

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Zamibc, always when you buy a boat, you have to consider the fact of a resale and to that a resale value. I am personally not so fond of new boats, because any new boat is a far cry from being perfect. Very gladly I'll buy a used boat (the brokerage crowd found a new word: "pre-owned") from an experienced owner.

In general it means that you buy - in case of a "pre-owned boat" - a fully equipped boat where all manufacturers failures have been done with. And that can be many that you will only discover after a period of time, at least a season intensive sailing. And you will find this happening from small yachts to the extreme ultra-mega yachts.

In your case I had bought the Swan. No doubt, better manufacturing, better upkeep of resale value, and a better lasting yacht too. Unless you dealt with a neglected Swan - but then is the option not a straight forward one. In the case of a Swan I buy a very proven design, a sailing boat in optima forma!
    (the resale value of any Janneau will be a disappointment to you.)

6. bfraites

bfraites New Member

Sale of Hanse 531

Hello Udo

I am thinking aout buying a Hanse 461 or 531 mainly due to its layout modern interieur design and the excellent reviews it has gotten from the press.
    now I have the same question like the other member a while ago. Why do (did) you sell it? considering the loss in money, it is (was) not a ver good financial deal.

how was the boat to sail. can you sail it single handed? how is the everydays living on board? did you replace it with another boat? if so, which one?

I would appreciate an honest answer. Even the sale is over and for you not so interesting anymore.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.