Still get amazed.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mychael, May 5, 2007.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

No we all know there are two different camps in the boating fraternity. Those that sail, then everyone else.
    Still I get amazed by the comments and the astounding powers of observation of your average "stinky boat/recreational fisherman type".

Picture this.
    My little dinghy is tied up to the pier, I've allready done one trip out to my boat taking stuff out and now I am walking back from my car, to the dinghy carrying what (at least to me) can only look like (and was) two very large sail bags, one even marked with "Genoa #2" in bold friendly letters.

A guy preparing his boat for launch says to me " how far out are you going?" to which I reply "out to my yacht,why?".
    He says, get this,, I was wondering how far you were going out to go fishing in that little thing.

I was carrying sails!! not rods, not nets, not buckets, there was just enough room in the dinghy for me and the sails and he thought I was going fishing !!!
    Sheesh but that's scary to think people like that are out on the water with me.

Mychael

1 person likes this.
  2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Still amazed

Fair play Mychael - spotting the bag marked 'Genoa' he probably thought you were an 'illegal immigrant' stepping ashore to interfere with the native women. :)

3. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Oh ,forgot to mention it also had a big sown on patch that said "Peter Green Sails".. I emphasise the sails bit.
    Not overlooking the fact I was wearing a life vest, had full wet weather gear on, as opposed to the normal attire worn by the "other types" consisting of , shorts, name brand shirt and a fag hangin' out of my mouth.
    Biased, you betcha... lol.

Mychael

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well, you ARE in AU what else do you spect? No zakkly on the putty on the solent, or in Auckland, or Cornwell are ya?

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Should of told him you were going to circumnavigate in your dinghy & asked him if he would like to accompany you. The bag contained a large supply of Italian sausage.

TGoz

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Tim don't let the secret out of the bag mate, we need all the sausage we can get if we're going to successfully fish!

Mychael - that's like the one the wife told me the other day; she 'works' as a cook(?) in the local school, putting out a dish full of 'duff' a child asked her "whats that?", 'pineapple slice' "Oh what's in it?" You get em in all walks of life mate - bloody frightening ain't it?!!!

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hey Walrus,

In 1991 while at a seamanship school in S. Florida (Atlantic side), a friend and I used cheap Slim Jims (an approx. 1/2 inch dia. sausage snack) for bait. We were catching saltwater catfish. It worked well, I feel, because of all the spicy oil that it gave off. Never tried it up here, but next time I'm fishing the river I may.

TGoz

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

its kinda like building a 32 ft sailboat inthe middle of ohio,,when the next biggest boat is a 17 ft bass boat,,all the guys at work would raze me ,,now that the boat is allmost done ,,,the guys at work want to know when I can take them sailing,,,,,longliner

9. safewalrus

the bait your using here seems pretty good Tim!!

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Still amazed

Steady now Walrus...he's been to a seamanship school. He probably knows all about fishing...and boats...and things...bananas even....
    :)

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

They are yellow & good if used in moderation. Right?

TGoz

12. safewalrus

I taught in one once does that count? Not that you need to know much about the subject (I didn't then, still don't! .......but God can I bu*****t)

13. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

We had some decent teachers at ours. The best were the ones who did not need the money but did it out of a desire to impart their lifes knowledge to others.

What subjects did you teach Walrus?

TGoz

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I posted this in the "Dumbest Moves" thread; thought it would fit here, 'cuz the best part is what the guy said.

A neighbor once asked me to go for a ride in his new boat, a nice little fiberglass outboard runabout. It was obvious that he had little or no experience, so I found myself giving a running course in navigation, how to read buoys and channel markers, etc. We got to an area where he wanted to stop for lunch. My neighbor said, "OK, let me do the anchoring. I've watched everything, and I can do it myself." I moved to the back of the boat as he pulled a tiny anchor and line out of a locker. He tied the end of the line to a forward cleat ... then whirled the anchor around his head and flung it about 50 feet in front of the boat. As the anchor reached the end of the line it stopped momentarily, then the knot (who knows what type) he had tied came loose and the anchor disappeared into the depths. After almost falling overboard from laughter, I wiped the tears from my eyes and asked him why he did that. With a straight face and a puzzled look in his eyes he said, "Well, I know the ropes go out almost straight when boats are anchored, and I'd heard the phrase 'throw out the anchor', so I figured that's how you got it out in front of the boat."

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Really, did you expect anything different? :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.