Stiffness vs Tensile Strength in Foam Sandwich Construction?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Iridian, May 16, 2021.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I prefer the Heuristic approach to optimize. Optimize is a verb and it means action. Going round and round in a mulberry tree.

We need to be practical because design is always a compromise.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Barry likes this.
  2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You are quite right, gentlemen, when you speak of "optimize" you have to specify what is meant by that word, which some people despise (who knows why). I like, I have to admit, constructive criticism.
    Having said all the above, it should be emphasized that when you are talking about a "light" structure, you do not have to be very intelligent to understand the meaning of "optimize".
    In my opinion there are two possible "optimizations" speaking of the structure of a ship, the weight and the construction process / assembly hours. Choose the one you want according to the meaning of this thread.
    And, if you will allow me, one last question, when a designer is projecting a structure, does he really not think about optimizing his structure (whatever the meaning is at that moment)? I think he does think so, and if he doesn't, what does he think about?

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@Mr Efficiency I think your post # 54 raises a very interesting topic, is an aluminum hull lighter than a PRF one?
    A 3 mm thick aluminum panel weighs around 8.1 kg / m2. An equivalent GRP panel would weigh, if I'm not mistaken, about 1.4 kg / m2 plus the weight of the resin. Let's say in total 3 kg / m2.
    (By equivalent I mean the one that, due to its thickness and mechanical properties, could replace the aluminum panel in a given structure. I hope I am well understood and if not, no problem, I will try to explain myself better.)

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Don't try to confuse us with data and fact. We were on a roll.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry @fallguy, it was an innocent comment on a topic that I found interesting. Never before has a thread drifted down unpredictable paths. I am guilty, I admit it.

fallguy likes this.
  6. Iridian

Iridian Junior Member

@TANSL
    In tensile strength and stiffness maybe. But I'm pretty sure the aluminum counterpart would handle point loading far better.

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Optimizing used to be fairing out skin fittings and other minor enhancements in the hope that the boat would sail faster..

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That is probably optimizing the hull shapes. Nothing to do with optimizing a structure, however you understand the word "optimize".

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yes TANSL, thanks, I have a good understanding of optimism.

TANSL likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.