Steel mfv conversion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manny, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Manny

Manny Junior Member

Hi there, this is my first post here, so please take it easy.

I'm looking out for the right boat, a 45-55ft beam trawler constructed in steel to convert into a cruiser.
    I have come across a 55ft Dutch steel trawler that seems to tick all the boxes.

Ideally we would want to add bilge keels so that we can take to the ground and remain level, but will leave that design up to a naval architect.

Can anyone recommend books on steel boat design and construction?

Google Image Result for http://www.trawlerpictures.net/uploads/gallery/album_348/med_gallery_556_363_1323700404_38451.jpg https://goo.gl/images/7YaJSp

This is a picture of the boat I have in mind .

2. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Get Thomas Colvin's book. Some things are dated, but it's an excellent read.

upload_2018-8-12_6-53-44.png

3. Manny

Manny Junior Member

Thank you. Book has been ordered.
    Last boat building book I bought was for ferro cement, but only cause my school library was selling it.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

One imagines that bilge keels ( the boat already has modest ones, presumably to damp rolling) big enough to keep the boat level when grounded, will alter the roll characteristics considerably, slow the boat down, and present some constructional challenges.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.