Stick welding aluminum

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gonzo, Jan 6, 2021.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with aluminum welding rods? It seems like a fast way to weld, and it can be done outdoors in the wind.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Without the shielding gas... you'll get poor quality welds!

3. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Have used, but just for emergency repairs, with low loads on weld, and where no TIG or MIG equipment available. Tricky, different stick positions, very sensible to moisture; work material to be preheated to reduce hydrogen bubbles. Stick material seldom compatible with base material composition, will cause fractures in HAZ. I've held a licence for alu-welding (TIG and MIG) for long, but I haven't seen a stick weld that would pass a bending test or x-ray.

But if nothing else is available, then what...... (add a good quality epoxy like Araldit maybe..).

Edit: ....and besides, the method is veeery slow compared even to TIG-welding!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The American Welding Society only addresses the end result for structural aluminum welding. Do the class societies restrict welding techniques?

5. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

DNV explicitly prescribed TIG/MIG for alu welding in earlier rules (for example in the sc "15 m rule"). Since these methods are industry "gold standard", I never bothered checking later versions. But I would expect DNV to accept f.i. plasma and stir/friction welds if they pass mechanical and X-ray testing. Have no "modern" experience from LR or ABS though; guess Ad Hoc and perhaps Barry have better information for you.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Have you seen this test of various types of Aluminium welding and brazing ? It may be interesting,

Rollbar likes this.
  7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

As far as I am aware, it is not an approved process for structural welds in Class rules.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I am pretty sure the late member PAR alluded to such methods as a cosmetic rather than structural repairs. I guess if there is damage in an above water element that isn't structurally greatly impaired by it, it has a place.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I was pretty sure the Class rules won't allow it. AWS allows any method as long as the weld complies with the minimum requirements..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.