Stich and Glue

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Phosphor, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

I've seen some descriptions of a few stich and glue boats, and the methods of building them, now wondering what the advantages of them are. I imagine them being flimsy without something like a stem, and wouldn't you have to worry about electrolysis of the wire that's holding the bow together?

2. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

I recommend Sam Devlin's book on Stitch and Glue Boatbuilding as a very good and informative read. You can get it from Woodenboat or most good libraries.

It will answer all your questions, plus lots you have not thought of!

Tony.

3. Ed Harrow

Ed Harrow Junior Member

I sailed a Mirror 16 for sometime, a "stitch and glue" boat. The boat has how travelled across the continent, and north of the border, 30 + years after building. I don't recollect how the stem/bow was constructed, but I think it was just stitch and glue. Whatever, I think thirty years is a testament to the construction technique, LOL.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Stitch & glue is a well proven method for craft that aren't to big, though I've seen designs for the technique near 30' I'd not try it in that large a boat. The skin (planks) once glued together, become the structural members. The curves forced into this makes it much stronger then the sheet goods would be otherwise. Using the planking to bear a larger load of the structure isn't that uncommon, strip planking, cold and hot molding and some of the composite structures all have much more load carrying ability then a more traditionally planked boat.

In most cases the wire used to hold the seams together, while the tape and goo process is being done are removed after the goop kicks off. In areas the wire isn't easily removed or becomes buried in epoxy, they can be left in place with little likelihood of electrolysis, as they don't touch the water or other metals.

Personally I've been using zip ties in most locations, unless I need to really crank down a panel, where I use wire (12 ga copper, because I have a bunch of it)

Some of these designs have stems, keels and stern posts, but the newer designs have all but kissed them off. I too, feel more at ease knowing there is a chunk of gripe and stem up there I can bash into things with.

The big advantage is the speed at which the hull goes together. Once the planks are cut to shape they get "stitched" over a form or quite literally folded into the shape that will become the basis for the boat. No steaming of ribs, cutting of frames or floors, stringers, keel, stems, etc. This is a big time saver and makes the building of a small boat within the ability of the average owner of a jig saw. Now there may be some additional structure added after the hull is formed, but each design has it's own needs.

Sam Devlin's book is a good one, get it if you plan on this construction technique.

5. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

I see. I can definitely see the advantage in speed. I think I'll stick to liking plank on frame boats more though. Those can go transatlantic, while I wouldn't trust a stictch and glue one across the ocean.

6. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

Why not? Many have done. Don't be prejudiced against this or, for that matter, any particular building method. Done right, they are all (most?!) entirely satisfactory for a professionally thought out and executed design and purpose.

Tony (feeling broad minded tonight, although I will admit to a liking for strip plank as an amateur).

7. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

Ha ha. Ok, I'll try to.

8. PAR

In the design process, the selection of construction method as well as every other aspect of the design, receives a great deal of attention, so that it may serve the criteria as set down by the wishes of the client and the attempts of the designer to fulfill them in the boat.

This popular method has been used in countless designs and is as sound as any. There are yachts of paper, concrete, steel, plastics of all sorts and a bunch of methods, techniques and materials used to complete the design criteria.

If the designer has done their job and the construction follows the plans, then a reasonable out come can by expected. In the 1840's the idea of an iron boat was considered ridiculous, but it was proven that good design and carefully met building could produce an iron boat that floated right side up. A generation or so before the same was said of boats built with concrete, the same nay sayers were crying aloud then as well, but good design is always good design, sound engineering is always sound engineering.

Phosphor, in another generation you would have been amongst the fellows thinking about tossing old Chris of the poop deck on the flagship of the little fleet that came to the "new world" at the end of the 15th century. "You didn't want to fall of the edge of the earth" you'd have had them believe. They didn't.

You shouldn't judge a boat hull by its construction methods until you've researched the subject well enough to make an educated decision. The same goes for books . . .

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Phosphor, Your logo should give you a hint as to the proper course. If you feel plank on frame is the only way to go, then go that way. Writing of some other method as being inferior because you don't understand it is, well; you said it. :rolleyes:

Read the book, talk to builders of the other kinds of construction. Just don't call mine or other boats "flimsy" or "weak stemed" from ignorance. Luckily, ignorance can be cured. If fondly embraced, stupidity can be terminal. :D

10. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

Sorry 'bout that.

11. briany

briany Junior Member

Previous replies echo my thoughts.
    I would just emphasise the TAPE part of stitch and glue process.
    There was a recent story of a stitch and glue boat inherited with a new house purchase. New owner sanded it down and painted.
    It fell apart on first sail. He had sanded too vigurously.... right through the stitches!
    briany

12. PAR

I try and avoid the ear locked, urban lore "sanded thru the stitches" junk. If built to plan or properly the "stitches" don't account for any structural meaning. The "stitches" are removed or supplanted with a structural bond that will insure a solid structure. If you sand thru to the edges of the base material then the structure is compromised, but most have enough brains to not do this. If not, I have some land in the Everglades I'd like to talk to them about . . .

13. Phosphor

Phosphor Junior Member

OK, I understand better now. I didn't get that the stiches had no structural meaning.