Stich And Glue Construction

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Greg Maccarone, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Greg Maccarone

Greg Maccarone New Member

Looking into building a 19 ft. center console for back bay and some light ocean fishing. I want to know how strong a stich and glue hull is. I have been doing some research and they seem fairly straight forward to build. Are traditional plank and frame stronger (much more coplicated to construct) or is the strength fairly equal? I would eventually Like to build my own 30' Offshore Center console if the Stich and Glue thing wooks out. :?:

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Can't really answer the question with a simple yea/ney. Both types depend on proper design and scantlings to work well. One thing that I'm pretty sure of though with a properly designed S&G boat of the same weight as a plank-on-frame boat is that the S&G boat will be stiffer and stronger and simpler to build.

I like S&G every time on any boat that it is applicable for.

Tom Lathrop.

3. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Junior Member

1/4" or 3/8" core - with 12 ounce biax on either side (epoxy of course) - will be water proof and lighter than the equivalent strength plank. The ease of construction of S&G is a great selling point as well. Now as you consider designs - are you looking for sandwich composite construction or ply construction using S&G technique? Jacques Mertens' designs are the former, Devlin's are closer to the later - both offer a great product, but Mertens' will be lighter by far.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.