Sterndrives in a CAT

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by APP, Dec 8, 2011.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

that was a giant bow steer into a wave
    can happen with a single engine

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I have had motors suddenly lose power on one side of a cat without any significant or dangerous deviations, typically they are slow to turn anyway.

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Sure been there done that, we do have waves in Australia and plenty fo bar crossings. I worked with several builders to actually test their boats, sounds like you only went in a straight line?
    Fast cats have killed plenty of people so to think they are fundamentaly safe is not true, they have plenty of vices

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yes I agree
    slow to turn normally because no-one builds any ackerman into the steering so very heavy to steer as well
    No off the shelf parts as far as I know so you have the manufacture the stuff yourself

5. APP

APP Junior Member

Thanks. For vertical height I undersand as mostly used the Z-axis. I believe then that the best alternative is to give to the engine supplier (Volvo, Yanmar, etc.) the boat drawings and ask them to define the best height. I attach a picture of how others have installed the sterndrive in a planing Cat.

Regards
    APP

Attached Files:

6. APP

APP Junior Member

It seems, there must be a limitation in Cat dimensions in order to use the Sterndrive with adequate efficiency. Such limitation might be caused by the max available Diameter of Sterndrives propeller (I think usually it is max D=16" and P=23") or by the fixed gear ratio of this system. So, for a Cat that would exceed let us say 9 metric tonnes a D=16" only, may not work properly. Anyway what could be the heaviest Cat in Australia that uses Sterndrives (Inboard/Outboard)? Any idea?
    Thanks
    APP

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.