volvo 280

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by capbodine, Aug 7, 2012.

1. capbodine

capbodine New Member

Hello, this is my first post so bear with me. I have a 20ft. searay that had a 302 ford omc out drive. the omc is history and I would like to take the 4.3 volvo 280 combo that i have out of a donor boat and mate the drive unit with the 302 and install it in the searay. can anyone tell me the parts needed? I am aware of the transom mods, that is the easy part for me. I assume that different manifolds will be required and would like advice on that subject as well, as to after market or factory.The biggest question would be the mating of the engine to the 280 Volvo drive. Thanks in advance.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to change the gears to 1.65:1 ratio to start with. It may be possible to put a really low pitch propeller, but won't be very efficient.

3. capbodine

capbodine New Member

Thanks Gonzo, is there a easy to tell what ratio it has now?and what about bell housing?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The easiest way is to turn the input shaft and count how many turns it takes to make the prop shaft do one turn.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

why not use the v6, you can make it the same horsepower as the 302. if your 302 is a 2 barrel carb the v6 will be pretty close to the same output anyway. 4.3 parts are much easier to get than 302 marine parts. and cheaper.

6. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

My 280 has a 1.61 stamped into it, either under the zinc or right where the shaft enters the unit.
    I agree about keeping it simple by using the 4.3, but a bell housing from any year pre-sx small block ford should work. eBay probably has some listed.
    Osco,Barr and others still make exhaust manifolds kits that'll work for the ford.

7. capbodine

capbodine New Member

Ok back to the project, I now know that it is a 3.8 not a 4.3 and the out drive is a 280T model that has power trim. I also know that it has the 6 cylinder final drive ratio and my question is what is the best path to proceed in changing that, order new parts, take the lower unit to a shop or search for used replacement?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.