New Member with lots of ??? Help ID boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by EndlessSummer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer New Member

Hey guys I'm new to the site but wanted to take the time to say howdy to everybody out there!

First off I have a very stubborn grandfather who likes to keep everything that hes ever bought/acquired....so the other day I was on his land and found this hiddin jewel. Could someone please tell me what type/year/size this boat is? Bc as of right now i have no clue where to start! Is it even worth it to restore? Im a healthy young 22 yr old and i need a new project other than cars and truck!.....the fiberglass is good on the boat and there is no cracks or anything of that type...the floor is rotten and needs to be replaced and other than that i can probably handle the engine rebuild....please help me get pointed in the right direction! thanks, joel.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Poke around the transom with a pocket knife and check that too. If its glassed over... its worth doing some core samples with a drill. Next thing to check is the stringers which are the two longitudinal beams the motor sits on. You'll most likely have to drill them too as it will be wood encased by fiberglass. With a rotten floor you may find every other piece of coring is rotten too. If you find it's just the floor? It's a fairly simple project.
    Aaron

3. EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer New Member

Does this boat look familiar to you? like the actual make and stuff? im just curious so i can find more information on it as well as specifications...

4. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

You can check the license with the dmv. There were many different similiar boats made then. I'm guessing its a '65 or later. My first thought was Uniflite but decided otherwise.

5. EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer New Member

ok appreciate it...i can get this boat for free but am curious if its even worth it...any good places i can go to see similar restored boat pictures?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That boat is very probably before 1973, which means it's not going to have a HIN on the transom, so don't bother poking around with a drill.

The state registration number (the big "TX" number) will be the way to track down it's history. This number will have manufacture and previous owner information attached to it. Your local DMV will direct you where to go for more information.

Rather then fooling around with who built it, etc., I'd be focused on that OMC drive and little GMC block to see if each works.

7. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Post 2 was strictly advice to check out the condition of the boat and not intended to find the maker.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Did your grandad keep the receipt, or remember where he bought it?

I doubt if its got a core ,it will be solid, get that motor fired up and take it out.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Looks like an old Chevy 235 in it. They're sturdy reliable engines, and I doubt it's seen enough hours to warrant a real re-build. I'm betting the compression is still good, and all you need to do is change the oil and clean up the ignition: points and plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, etc. Maybe put an electronic ignition on it instead....

10. edjunior

edjunior Senior Member

One place to go to try and find out more info on this boat is Fiberglassics:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/

They have lots of good stuff for these old gems. Sorry I can't help you out more than that, but I'm sure that link will help you.

11. EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer New Member

Awesome guys i really appreciate it! yeah im pretty good with motors and that one seemed to be a lot better than a lot of other motors ive messed with in the past...the rubber lines and all the electrical are still in very decent shape and it looks like there might even be some gas in the lines still...my grandpa probably has the receipt but its long gone in his endless files...the man's gone crazy i literally FOUND this boat laying next to a few others on his "junk" property...he probably doesnt even know he has it anymore...is there any good write ups on replacing the floor in a boat? or getting that fiberglass to shine nice again? or even maybe how to correctly paint a boat?

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you can find something to polish that ole fibregalss up like new you will be a millionaire overnight.

Maybe the ole grandad is not so crazy, after you got it going and all painted like, he may suddenly regain his sanity and go fishing and deny there was ever anything wrong with it.

You gotta watch them old guys

13. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Lol........:D