Magnus...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Does anyone here know of any thing with regards to the 'Magnus effect' - the supposed drag and vibration of a spinning and forward moving shaft through water...

Also same regarding fully enclosing the shaft in a complete or segmented shaft log and the benefits of doing so...

This is in regards to high speed planing craft where the shaft exits the bottom of the boat and is supported by an I beam skeg before the prop...

SH.

1 person likes this.
  2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

AOA of most shafts are too low to worry about magnus effect. AOA needs to be nearly 90 to generate any significant side force. Search for the Flettner Rotor ship for a discreption of the effect.

Edit to add.... there is also a Renyolds effect in there too as I recall, so I think most shafts are too small and spinning too fast also

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Have a look here:
    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/cyl.html

Just guessing, I' think the magnus effect (kutta-joukowski's, in fact) shouldn't be significative for an spinning shaft moving through water with it axis aligned almost in the flow direction, should it?

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.