Sterling vs Awlgrip

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by brminc, Oct 13, 2008.

1. desktopgold

desktopgold Junior Member

here is sterling pic ;[​IMG]

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yes, Nice, but it is still missing the depth of shine that awlgrip gives. More work, wore money, but you get what you pay for.

Attached Files:

4. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

miaow!

That's not fair.

You are comparing a dark blue against a mid blue.

Dark blue always looks glossier.

Try Alexseal, beats the lot for gloss.

I'll post photo when i find it.

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

All right try white. and both these boats are roll and tip, not sprayed.

You can not compare Alsa Corp products. They are wonderful for what they are designed to be used for, but they will not hold up in a Marine environment. I was going to use their mirrochrome on my ports, but I decided not to because of the price and I knew it wouldn't last.

Attached Files:

• bow.JPG
      bow.JPG
      File size:
      237.9 KB
      Views:
  6. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

what the hell is "alsa corp"?

you americans!

You mean Mankiewitz Alexseal? Yep, it brushes rubbish.

Spray, like the big boys do, it is great.

Back to the program. Don't compare different products with different colors(american spelling for ya all). It ain't a fair comparison.

Me? Busy doing 60m in black hull with it. And superstructure metallic with Alexseal as clear over Sikkens metallic. Nice. Go to Van Dam Nodia site to see 22m we did in same system.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Sorry, miss-read, I thought you ment
    http://alsacorp.com/

---And real men roll and tip, anybody can spray:rolleyes:

8. desktopgold

well i could actualy agree. after having a truck custom painted and my boat custom painted . i can say i belive the awlgrip to be a superior product ,in that it has better formulation in mind. were sterling is an age old standard. im guessing some will like one system or the other for particular needs. seeing as i brushed the primers my self it turned out good to go . but brushing just produces to much stipple. its a constant battle to sand out the micro pits and craters just asume have it sprayed by the yard and then sand it between process layers.but i must say the sterling is wonderfull, very tough and very shiney hard surface .looks constantly wet. un belivable . a close second probobly .the sterling is very reflective its just reflecting a california cloudless blue sky in november . i actualy got it real straight any reflective lines you see in it dont zag at all . they (svendsons) did an awsome state of the art job of spraying

in automotive paints this same argument could take place with ppg and dupont .dupont is a formula that relies on added pearls for color. were ppg is a color formulation . more science behind ppg .

9. desktopgold

10. desktopgold

[​IMG]

well sence we are cretiquing one anothers jobs . the shine actualy looks ok in this pic. id say i see some depth. if you look at the straight lines in the reflection or should i say what are supposed to be straight lines you see lots of waves this indicates inadaqate fairing or not using the proper boards enough . and yes im accounting for the cuvature of the hull .the shine is ok but the blue of the sky dosent look as blue as it should for a black . but that could be the camera abit . overall the incorporation of the lettering scheem was wonderfully done although it looks like some one went to a sign shop ,ordered up a viynal sign and adhered it over the black , blacks and dark colors absorb lots of heat im hoping the base of this black job is epoxy so it will stick when it gets hot . the guy with the camera is seeing his reflection alright im seing lots of wavy lines evrywere . to some it wouldnt bother them ,others would sand to perfection . then there is the bottom job ouch black or dark colors show evrything . but man many more hours could have been spent wet sanding those blister/boils out ,good enough though ,who wants to put on a rainsuit for that long.

11. desktopgold

here is a pic of a reflection ,i have one zag in a line on the right there or the pipe natrualy bends like that i got to go look. ,but they sanded this down and resprayed because of to much dust in the paint .[​IMG]

12. desktopgold

[​IMG]

to me this pic is a repesentation of alot of time spent on a project. the bottom job on this boat is perfect i dont realy see a flaw and it is smooth . the reflection looks real good .alot of time was spent fairing this project

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Desktop,
    Good observations. You are right on both picture critiques. The first boat I did (the little white one), was an abandoned hull that faired easily. The Big boat is a Beneteau that was broke almost in half and sunk, I bought it at salvage for $800.00. It took 3 years to get the hull to this stage. Life is full of compromises, and at some point I had to say enough is enough. In the water it is imposable to tell the areas that could have been faired more. I am the only one who can tell. I am not sorry that I used this color. It is a very classy look, and like I said no one can notice the few questionable spots. If I was 30 years younger I might have spent another month with the long board, but I ran out of steam and money (yard cost). I'm still proud of the outcome.

Attached Files:

14. desktopgold

your boat project of repairing a hull almost cracked in half sounds interesting .any links to some pics of your glass work

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.