1967 HarberCraft Aluminium 14' dinghy...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Capn Jon, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Capn Jon

Capn Jon New Member

Greetings,

I just discovered this interesting site and thought I might throw this out, to see if anyone can assist me.... A few weeks ago, I bought an unusual sailing dinghy, one of maybe a couple of dozen sailboats built by HarberCraft (now Kingfisher powerboats), who have been building quality aluminium power boats and pontoon boats since 1959.

The boat is in very good condition, but looks like she hasn't been sailed in a while. She is complete...except she has no rudder. I believe there were just a few of these built and I know of only one other, but the owner is non-communicative. So, even though she is my 13th sailboat over 50+ years, I have never designed or built a rudder! She has a centreboard (in the photo it is not all the way down) and I am going to build a kick-up rudder out of 1/4" aluminium, which came with the boat. I'm not looking for speed. I believe a rough formula is about 1/3 the size of the centreboard? Any input regarding how large the rudder should be, etc. greatly appreciated... And if anyone has ANY info. on this boat... Thanks. Jon Bo4.jpg Bo2.jpg

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. Capn Jon

Capn Jon New Member

Thank you for your suggestions. From where I'll be sailing (off the beach out back), I must build a kick up rudder. There are half-inch gudgeons on the transom. I have cheeks made of aluminium and a rudder the same (1/4"). I'm trying to determine the size of the blade. I think it's going to be hit or miss! (All of my boats up until this point have been large cruising multihulls, so, besides an El Toro as a dinghy, this is a new area for me). But, "Old sailors never die, they just get a little dinghy..."

4. fastwave

fastwave Senior Member

Considering that you rudder will be a flat plate ( hopefully with rounded leading edge a a little changer one the back) I would start with a generous area since it will be so easy to trim it smaller later.
    I think the balance of the rudder affect the feel much more than anything else.
    So trim the area wisely to get the feel you want.

5. Capn Jon

Capn Jon New Member

Thank you for your reply, Fast. Yes, I shall round the leading edge. Your suggestion makes sense and I shall pay close attention to the effect the rudder has on weather helm, lee helm, balance etc. I have no idea how the boat is supposed to sail, but it will be fun to find out when it gets a little warmer. There is a big difference between this little boat and my 64' trimaran...

6. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Way back when (1965 to be exact) I attend the U of Mich. The sailing club had Jet 14s. they were fun to sail and very responsive. I looked at the info on the rudder. Looks like it should work. If you don't want to try it with metal make one out of plywood first and try it out. Easier to modify than aluminum. Once you have one that works then make the metal one.

8. Capn Jon

Capn Jon New Member

Oh, that IS way back when, eh!! Thank you for taking the time to send this information...I just found a photo of an original rudder on one of the other two sisterships that I know of. So, I am all set! :). Have a great day, young man :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.