My boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SebastianG, Oct 16, 2009.

1. SebastianG

SebastianG New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new on this forum so I thought that I should start by introducing myself with my baby.

I made my boat by myself in my garage, took me 18 months. I started by knowing a little but about sailboats but not that much. I bought close to 300 magazines for the pictures to know where which pieces what and where it goes on the boat.

I wasn't a easy task but I am very happy that i did it. So here's my baby in the building process and finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. m4tt

m4tt New Member

well...how does it sail? did you get balance and weight/ bouyancy correct. Looks like your water sheer is a little high, but maybe with people...looks really pretty to me...so i guess...how does it sail?

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

4. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Beautiful. I'm sure we'd all love some sailing pics. Great job!

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Appears to be very nice work. Some clever custom hardware in evidence. Bipod, presumably to help with mast ********. Twin, angled, rudders suggest that Sprintor is designed to sail at some particular angle of heel. The intersection of bottom -chine-transom will cause me to speculate on design theory. Tell us what kind of board or keel she has. A wide flat bottom is condusve to planing and given the name I suspect that is what you anticipate. You have definitely established bragging rights for a decidedly sporting build.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What is her SA/WS ratio or her SA/D?

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Not an expert, but I wonder why you took all the trouble to get great curved topsides, and quite stark hard chines.

Did anyone qualified contribute to the designs ?

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The boat would appear to have been given some thought for lighweight. Notice the battened top of the cuddy. It appears to have a double bottom of some sort. Perhaps as a structural element to reinforce the wide flat bottom. Maybe for flotation as well, even though it is the wrong place for the righting chore in the event of a capsize. The slick looking topsides may have been an effort to minimize aero drag.

Hard chines with flat bottom will almost surely jump up on a plane sooner than a round chined example. The boat appears to have more than ample sail area. Combine all that with light weight and you have a potential speedster. The only critique I have is the apparent large size of the twin rudders. That's a lot of rudder for such a small and presumably fast boat. Rudders and other appendages have an alarmingly large amount of frontal area. Not good. Observe the retractable bow sprit which I presume will carry an assymetrical or some other instrument of ferocity.

Creating a boat from questionable information from 300 magazines is chancy. Nonetheless the builder has done a lot of things right. Maybe he will stop teasing us and provide a more detailed description.

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

SO? how does it sail? Come on. Don't keep us in suspense.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.