Classic 6m Class

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ivansalasj, May 30, 2005.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hi!

I am looking for any kind of information related to these types of classic yachts that could assist me through the design of one of these. Any information will be helpful, even if its only the main particulars of some of these yachts.

Thanks

Iván

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

Have you looked at any of the old Sparkman and Stephens designs, such as Goose? It was the fastest 6 metre for quite a while in the US and it was built in the 30's. The
    S & S 6m are probably the best ones to look at if you are planning on designing/building one. Is the one you are designing going to be a true classic, or a Spirit of Tradition-type boat, which looks classic but has modern underbody and rig?

3. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

I have just come accross Sparkman and Stephens designs and thanks is a good reference, the one which i have just began to design at the moment will be a true classic, i believe with a short keel which developed from the long keels is the ones they used. It will initialy be build using traditional methods but of course incorporating modern glues. I was given the offsets table from one of Moyt H. Frederick designs but the error when using these was significant but i think is a good starting point to develope my own hull form therefore the need of information to keep the tradition in the design.

Thanks for your interest

4. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

A lot of the new 6m have a classic hull form but a relatively modern underbody which has proven itself extremely fast. the keel would be a fin, bulb, or winged.

5. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

I have seen several of them and yes they have proved to perform well but a traditional hull form,keel, etc.. is what we would like to achieve in our design/construction of this 6m yacht. I had a look at Goose and it does look nice smooth lines, lots of research went into that hull, im in need of finding original sail plans and of course lines but its always difficult when looking for these.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.