Buying a boat for ICW and Bahamas run; advise on quality/min spec please

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by kattz, Jul 24, 2004.

1. kattz

kattz New Member

Hello:

I own a 1994 Four Winns Sundowner 215, and want to step up to a mid-cabin 26-29 footer w/twin 4.3L or 5.0L's. What is the minimum LOA recommended for blue water use?

Second question: I'm considering boats from Sea Ray, Regal, and Monterey. I know Regal and Sea Ray. What is the quality and hull build on the Monterey boats? No offense to anyone, but I'm not a fan of 1000 meters of salt water under a hull I don't trust. How does the hull of a Monterey compare to Sea Ray? I do not want a foam core hull, nor a hull like the Glastron 249 I checked out today that was as flexible as the side of a Saturn four-door sedan. How about fit and finish? Monterey's website is skimpy on details on hull construction, and I see the use of the word "foam" a lot. The boat I'm looking at is a 1996 Monterey 276 cruiser.

And by the way, I logged on here looking at a post about Monterey quality on another thread. I really don't want to hear from the "guest from St Somewhere" with the hook in his hull. Just the facts, please. Let's not trash anyone.

Cheers
    Kev

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

This is all a matter of personal taste. For me, freeboard and self bailing decks are more important than length. If you're in a hurry, length is good, but doesn't really have much effect untill you get to 35 feet or so. I've fished 50 miles out in the gulf in a 21 footer for years and never felt uncomfortable, even when 40 footers were turning back at the jetties. You just have to slow down to suit the conditions.
    Sea Ray makes a decent hull, but I don't care for all the vinyl covered paneling they throw out on the weather decks. As for Regal and Monterey I really can't say. Your best bet would be to hang around the marinas and talk to owners of the type of vessel you are considering. They can be a wealth of good information. But also beware that some may praise their boat to you that they cuss as soon as you leave. Most folks tell it like it is though.
    Good luck. Most boats today have foam everywhere. Some still boast solid 'glass bottoms though. Stringers and other structural members are foam, and transoms are filled with some miracle goo as a replacement for wood traditionally used in these parts. Lots of companies tout wood free hulls now. Let us know what you get! :D

3. Frans X L

Frans X L Junior Member

Talk to your local us coastguard station and find out about the situations they have seen. They will give you a list of what they would like to see in a boat ,safety wise. ie watertight compartments etc...
    The problem is that for small craft the safety regs are just about missing. As soon as you start carrying passengers for money more than a few miles offshore, then the rules really kick in and get strict

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.