steering and inward heeling

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by yipster, Apr 3, 2003.

1. yipster

yipster designer

hi all,
    might as well ask the forum, you have seen it coming...
    steering and inward heeling

i have had outboards, single and dual z drives and maybe i did understand something at one point but after seeing that
    hysucat at thestepped hulls tread and [​IMG] i started wondering and thinking again. offcourse stabilisers and computer controlled canards work but how do mechanical "old" systems do that trick? i've been doodling, have some ideas but like to hear others explain this a bit better to.
    (also trying to get 3 pods heel inwards) :) yipster

2. yipster

yipster designer

:idea: the licht went on: trust vectoring is the answer for most that have steering with props. tilted rudders or stabilisers can do, still there is more to it i think, take the above hydrofoil or that hysucat with canted outboards...

3. trouty

trouty Guest

You might try making the fat feller stand on whichever side your turning toward! ;o)

Course some kinda trim tab system wired to the steering might also help do the trick - but mostly I think it's thrust vectoring is the answer.

You liked my idea of two foils on a tri vortex hull eh?
    I ain't just a pretty face - hell I aint even a pretty face!

Water ballasting might be another option?

Yipster - you n me buddy - we could go places - all we need is someone with a big bankroll to back us, course - in the interim - I have a balaclava and a shotgun - you know anyone's a good getaway driver?

Cheers!

4. yipster

yipster designer

Trouty,
    Yes, a double wired system for heeling seems the simplest for this 3 legged fast motorized swath waterbike. (what a words!) Whitout heeling in it might just, as cornering 3 wheelers do, top over outwards -not the best getaway vehicle-! :D
    Water balasting can help get the best small waterplane area. To somehow use (water)balasting for cornering is a possibility. Like to do some thinking on it as on other methods, this cornering and heeling is an interesting subject and i used your words "trust vectoring" i only see now. :eek:
    :cool: Allways did go places and had good times but am here again having tax problems. :mad: And you now refer to very old technology, lets find other potentials for paying taxes (not to mention going other places) :) yipster

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. Tom Lathrop

Tom Lathrop Junior Member

Many ships heel outward on high speed turns. I've seen photos of aircraft carriers that look downright dangerous. Hope they did their homework.

Foilborne or foil assisted boats that have foils canted down toward the longitudinal centerline will heel inward. The reason is the the outside foil will experience an increase of positive angle of attack in the turn while the inside foil experiences a decrease in angle of attack. In the absence of other factors, this will make the boat heel inward on a turn. Both rudder and/or thrust will usually add to the inward heel.

V bottom hard chine boats act much the same way while round bottom hulls have a tendency to heel outward.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.