Steerable, Inboard shaft drive?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by OCB, Dec 12, 2015.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hakes marine designed and built retractable drives for racing yachts.
    I regularly race on one now.

2. OCB

OCB Senior Member

loss Gear oil.

The design mite call for it be in the water. Water lubricated very interesting? Can you school me on that?

I have seen lower units gears used off road truck rear ends. The truck was 800 HP Trophy truck with 40" tires. The oil leaded out crack in the rear end housing. It raced for more then 75 miles with out NO OIL. Their was almost no wear on the gears.
    The gears where from Imco lower unit.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OCB

OCB Senior Member

Trust bearings

Front axles use 2 small tapered roller bearing or Omni joints that are very close together in 4x4 front diffs.
    The Cv will work,But not at high angles. In case steering and trim. Cardan joints won't last in very long in a high angle 4x4 driveline.

4. OCB

OCB Senior Member

Retracable Yach drives

Thank you, I will study that design.

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have used water lubricated prop shafts in a torque tubes for years and they were great just polished the shafts no signs of wear Novasteen product. Rubber types were no good.
    In the auto trade it often happened that some auto service people forgot to replace the oil in engines and G/Boxes and when this was discovered no apparent damage was found,just a little is all it takes and of course there are gear boxes spray lubricated to reduce the drag of heavy oils. Never the less Manufacturers recommendations are the best.
    Synthetic oil and Silicone, Graphite and similar lubricants have their application in heavy Industrial use. Finding the right knowledge base for the information is difficult.

I don`t think that running such things as C/V`s and U/V`s in water at present is practical they would need to be very streamlined to avoid a lot of turbulence and rotational friction.

6. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Steerable,Inboard shaft drive

Cardan shafts have been used in boats (in a fixed position) and in autos and have been successful for ages so setting them up so they can move in any direction
    helps them last and spreads the wear and lubrication over a bigger area.
    A conventional prop shaft in a torque tube drive inboard set up using thrust bearing twin U/V joints with a sliding spline works great and simple and will last forever.
    You can use 30 degree U/V joints. Keeping the U/V joints at 5 degrees each prefered.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member

8. OCB

OCB Senior Member

Thank you for posting, I have seen this drive. I'm still looking for a inboard steerable if their is one?

OCB

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Their info says that it is a steerable drive

10. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

LOL!
    That was quite the read. I just happened upon it.
    OCB and Tom Kane were quite a match!

ATTN: @DogCavalry @bajansailor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.