Connecting floor supports

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by drs3317, Jul 3, 2005.

1. drs3317

drs3317 New Member

What is the best method to connect the 2x4 floor supports for my cockpit sole? I'm using 2x4 douglas fir which has been epoxy coated. The orginal construction used 3" pieces of aluminum angle with two stainless screws each way. I was wondering if ther was another method others used. I have thought of galvanized joist hangers but still not sure which would be best.
    Thanks all

2. chandler

chandler Senior Member

I wouldn't use joist hangers..they are not very well galvanized...As a home builder I've always questioned their purpose in anything but shear strength.
    Why not support the cockpit from the floors? Or use the cockpit bulkheads ,and use a ledger attached to them??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.