Mold Release Wax

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Kevinwburke, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Kevinwburke

Kevinwburke New Member

Has anyone tried using an aerosol wax mold release instead of the paste?

2. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Are you working with Gel coat, polyester or ?

I once used "Pam", the food product, for a epoxy layup. As I remember Pam is (or has) a silicon oil. It worked suprisingly well for what I was doing at the time.

3. Kevinwburke

Kevinwburke New Member

I am using an epoxy. I noticed a carnauba wax aerosal mold spray and wondered if many people have used it.

4. bertho

bertho bertho

guy, avoid aerosol...
    i remember a complete well know composite factory in france where they find nice to use/test aerosol with silicone ... few time lated..all bonded or laminations job start to fails ! :eek:
    as they can't clean the shop..so they close and move ! total cost for some silicone spray cans... :mad:
    stay to classic wax/freekote and so...:)
    cheer's

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

There are several sprayable mold releases, Acmos is one I remember, but also Ease-Release is one that can be used.

And many semi-permanent release products can be sprayed (Frekote SOLO (Spray on, leave on), Ferro FS10 (which has a cleaner, sealer and release, which makes for very efficient release). It also can be used WOLO (Wipe on, leave on :) )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.