Identifying aluminum type used in my boat rails

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DavidMac, Apr 29, 2009.

1. DavidMac

DavidMac New Member

Newbie here (in many ways ha) and I hope this is the right place to post this question. I have a '95 Hurricane Fun Deck that has some bent railing and I also want to custom construct some new railing features. The aluminum railing is 1 1/4" square tubing but I don't know what type it is (6063 etc.) so I can't buy the correct welding rods. Hurricane/Godfrey Marine hasn't returned my call for info. Does anyone have any other method to get this info.

I should note that I'm by no means knowledgeable about metals and welding aluminum (yet) and I have bought quite a bit of scrap to learn on, but I've read enough to know I need the right kind of rods.

Also, do you know of a source where I can order this square tubing? I know I'm gonna need quite a bit of practice to do a decent job and I want to practice on the exact stuff I'm welding.

Thanks,

David

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. DavidMac

DavidMac New Member

Thanks, rasorinc. I'll check it out. Now if I can just find out what kind of aluminum I have on the boat now I should be set for lots of gobbing practice :)

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Take a piece to a welding shop that advertises aluminum welding. They should know and especially if they weld boats. It may very well not be a marine grade. that is called doing it on the cheap.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's probably 6063 if it's the typical bent stuff seen on most of these types of boats. 6063 is selected because it bends easily and has good corrosion resistance, though is only about half as strong as 6061 in tension.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.