Steel sailing boat, some thoughts...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by eiltrenova, May 3, 2011.

1. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

I have come across an abandoned steel sailing monohull in a boat yard and am trying to evaluate whether it is worthwhile investing time and money to put it back into sea.

I am most interested if anyone knows who could have made the plans? It is roughly LOA 29" with a beam of ca. 9"

I would also appreciate if anyone could give me any idea of what I should do in order to establish whether this is a good sailing boat. Are there any specific coefficients and parameters I should be considering before doing anything with it?

I am aware that in Spain an abandoned boat like this needs to have a general plan and sheer lines for it to be registered. Can anyone shed any advice on how to go about drawing these plans if I am unable to source the original ones?

I attach links to some videos I made

Deck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnYhk2-MYI

Poop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzerA3R_Lo8

Mast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUH4cV9nrMo

Interior http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSKH0Mkjuo

Deck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnYhk2-MYI

Some photos for users with no access to youtube:

Whilst this seems a dream of a lifetime coming true all your help is very much appreciated. As I don't have a home this could become my new home!!!

Many thanks,

Andre

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

First hire a good surveyor, don't be tight with the funds doing it. Dig up her history--Owner---builder--why she's not being used---dig dig dig --the more you find out and post the better. You need to give the members a good base of info to work from otherwise it's almost impossible to receive good reliable and detailed replys. Was she a designed build or just a backyard dream that turned out to be a nightmare. For example if she was plated with a heavier plate than deisgned for above the waterline including superstructure she could be a top heavy pig and you could be caught in a catch 22 situation. To counteract top hamper you add ballast but by adding ballast you increase displacement. This in turn could sink her too far past her designed waterline which already could be the case and so on. Not to discourage you she could be ok but without a set of design plans it's always a big gamble.--Geo.

3. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Looks like the boat is ~30 feet long.
    Steel is too heavy material for this size of boat with "sporty looks"

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Andre, you need to remove the extra http:// at the beginning of your links.

5. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

many thanks

6. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

Many thanks, however, there seems to be no history at all about this boat. I am trying to investigate if anyone could help in identifying whether she is a boat made by a boatyard or whether it was made by a keen enthusiast.

7. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

thanks

8. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

thanks

9. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Andre,
    Obviously, a major project, at best, but when comparing to a build-from-scratch boat(new build) it would save you time. The key question for me would be useable plate thickness of hull after sandblasting in & out. As for designer, no idea. If you have the skills to refit such a boat you should be able to judge the welding & fitting quality. It is difficult to offer an opinion from videos. So, if it's free or close to free, I'd determine the minimum thickness of the shell plate & what it will cost you to blast in & out. Then, imagine that you'll spend at least $30,000 usd to finish her on your own. If all seems well to this point and you really want to build a boat, start determining her characteristics, once blasted. I don't know your abilities, but you'll have to be part designer/part steelworker to complete this project. Just realize that you'll be "married" to this boat for a long time. I've seen people try to "save" much poorer projects, but rarely succeed.
    Best of luck in your decision, just remember to decide with your brain, not your heart.
    Mike

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Could be one of these by Van De Stadt 267 Sea Dog 8,70 6,80 2,90 1.55/1.35 47 Steel 1977 , very similar in the line of chines, saw on in alu years ago. Looks like way too much work for me at least. Regards from Jeff.

11. hein mk

hein mk New Member

moin from germany
    It is a v.d.stadt 29 sea dog,but the doghouse is different than in the original plans (for self-building).
    I build one by my self some years agoe.
    greatings hein

12. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

Hi Moin,

Many thanks for your reply. So, you seem to be certain this is a VD Stadt 29 Se Dog. Do you know more about this boat? I am trying to establish whether it will be a viable project to restore it and fit an engine and would eventually used it as my home. Do you have the plans and could you say anything about its seaworthiness.

Many thanks

Andre

13. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

Dear Mike,

Apologies for the long delay in getting back to you. Many thanks for your advice, very useful bit of information you have provided me with

Kind regards,

Andre

14. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

Hi Jeff,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Do you have any clues about the seaworthiness of this boat and whether it could be used as an ocean going boat. Have you any details that could help me in sourcing the designs or someone who knows more about it.

Many thanks

Andre

15. eiltrenova

eiltrenova Junior Member

Dear Geo,

Sorry if I reply late to your post. Thanks for the advice, very useful.

Kind regards,

Andre

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.