Toyota...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Does Toyota have a marine division and if not - WHY...

Thanks in advance...

SH.

2. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Junior Member

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Thanks...

Hello...

Thank you very much...

SH.

4. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Toyota owns Hino and they have big a marine division

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

6. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Hino engines rock. Used and abused mine for years, and they don't complain at all. They are the foundation of my diesel Bayliner. Nothing fancy, just good ol' fashion reliability. Toyota was smart to acquire them.

Mike

7. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Agree, Hino engines are very common here in Asia and reputation is superb

Mikey

8. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Hino parts

That’s good to hear, Mikey.

Hino’s are not common at all in the Boston / Rhode Island area where I boat, and I had a heck of a time finding parts when I first started to DIY the maintenance. Even major centers for marine diesels, like “Rhode Island Engine”, which services the RI fishing fleet, was unable to help me find any Hino parts. Some guys there had never even heard of them. Cats and DD’s are a different story.

My web search eventually led me to the Bayliner Owner’s Club, which I believe is the only US maker to install them on their boats. US Marine marinized them. If anyone has Hino engines in their boat, they will find the BOC very useful. I went through a lot of work to compile a database of parts with numbers, with the help of other BOC members. This database is now pinned to the top of the “Motoryachts” section of the BOC. The database also has a troubleshooting section worth reading for ANY marine diesel.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fbocwebfrm22

Filters and belts are easy to come by at local Hino truck centers IF you know the part number, so the database is very useful. The parts which marinize these engines are quite difficult to find, mostly located in the Pacific Northwest, and carry a hefty “boat tax.”

If there are any members of BD.net who have easy, inexpensive access to parts, I would be very interested to learn more about them, perhaps some of the Asian membership might have some good leads.

Thanks,

Mike

9. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Down here, DD's and Volvo's have pretty bad reputation, I have heard people saying "Never buy a boat with Detroit Diesels unless you budget for replacing them", their nick name is "the white death". Hino's, Cat's, Cummins and MAN top the reliability list

Mikey

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.