flats skiff style boat

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by marcq, Jan 13, 2013.

1. marcq

marcq New Member

I want to build a boat that I could use for fishing local back bays and ponds in my area. I was thinking wood but I feel that it is much more work and more costly. I have welding experience and access to a tic and mig welder. I have a few questions. the boat is going to be in the 12 to 14 feet range. I want to put some type of small outboard on the boat. it gonna be less then 10 hp. I am thinking 5 or 6hp.

1. is welding the best option or would rivets be a better idea.

2.what gauge metal should I use.

3. what type of metal is best.

4. do I need to buy plans? I was thinking of doing a simple frame inside the boat. it shouldn't be under major stress with such a small motor. right?

I'm new to this if it doesn't already show. I have metal work in my background but I just want to check with some who has experience.

thanks marc

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Considering the nature of your questions, buying plans would appear mandatory. Check out www.Glen-L.com for some metal designs. On the other hand if you find a design you like, but it's not in metal, then give me a yell (click on my icon) and a conversion could be done on most build methods and it doesn't cost much either.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Marc,

Welcome to the forum.
    Wood will probably be easier to find plans for, and there is a lot of help available here. Have you checked out the plans offered by Woodenboat?

Check with PAR if you really want metal converted from wood plans.
    Most people on the forum want to build, but small boats are cheap used now.

Nice name.

Marc

4. BobR

BobR Junior Member

A good fishing boat is lightweight and easy to manage. It's a first-time mistake to over build. Scrutinize aluminum fishboats on their trailer. The bottoms have extrusions that give the panels stiffness. The seats are structure for the hull sides. A few brackets reinforce transom to hull and corners of transom. Minimalist use of materials is key to a good small boat.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If I can do it over again I would get something like a big hoby cat and put a small (10 - 15hp) outboard and trolling motor on it. Light to trailer and handle, good in bad weather, light on fuel and you can even sail and trawl on the odd occasion. It will offer stability and more comfort than a mono and you can rig everything like you want.

6. solarflare

solarflare Junior Member

Rivets start to leak after a while and need to be redone or resealed when a few start to leak every so often.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.