steel ketch - Tahiti Rover

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Tumbleweed, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

Hi, Does anyone have any experience building one of Merritt Walter's Tahiti Rovers? It's a steel version of Hanna's Tahiti ketch. I saw one recently and it sure was pretty in that the chines don't show like on the Tahitiana. There's a web site where I can download the plans for the Tahiti Rover and build it myself. Any comments?

http://tahitirover.com

Thanks for any input.

2. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

I'm afraid that I can't help you, just wanted to say thanks for the link. I really like some of the designs I viewed. Too bad that there are not more photos of his designs on his web site. I'll be e-mailing him. There is a guy on the origamiboats group whom, I think is building a steel version of the Tahiti, maybe it's one of Merritt's designs. Look for Paul's "La Chica" on the origamiboats site.

3. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Yahoo groups has a tahiti ketch and a tahitiana group, lots of pics and info there. I have the plans for the tahiti rover, seems like it would be a pretty cool boat. I like the way the rover is built compared to the tahitiana.
    Lots of pics of 'La Chica" on the Tahitiana group.
    Tom

4. steelketch

steelketch New Member

There is a steel tahitiana (tahiti ketch) hull and deck for sale for $18k, it is posted at the tahiti_ketch and tahitiana yahoo groups.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.