Looking for a design or designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lizbet, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Lizbet

Lizbet New Member

Hello everyone

I'm an Australian experienced and nautically obsessed lady. I was told to post to BD dot net and to go to the dungeon !! I thought I was having my leg pulled but here I am posting on the B&D website :) That seems to fit some of my sailing escapades too, pure masochism which I enjoyed.

I am very interested in having a 60 foot metal hulled ketch preferably in steel (not aluminium) designed to suit both summer trips to Antacrtica and long sojourns in the South Pacific. I want a design that can accommodate two couples and 3 singles in port, but more importantly rough weather sea berths for 5. These can be cabin soles, pilot berths settees whatever can be pressed into service but aft of midships please.

Most of the stock designs I have looked at don't allow for good sea berths and I looked at several that promote themselves on the web.

I need a split rig and have sailed schooners and ketches and would settle for an equal masted vessel or a ketch. I want a well protected prop and a moderate draft longer keel. I'd like the hull plating at least over 6mm and would like 8 below the waterline if possible. A smaller sail area for the waters I sail than many lighter air designs and a pilothouse for at least two comfortably sitting with a pilotberth too.
    A mid cockpit and a deck that allows easy access to the ships boats from any position midships to stern, so no raised poop decks and wide easy decks around cabin tops.

Does anyone have anything? Is anyone interested?

Finally please does anyone know of any small boat steel yards with certified welders that could built such a vessel in SE asia or Indonesia ? They may have a designer themselves that they are happy working with. I don't think I want to go to China but it is an option.

In anticipation , thanks. Liz

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Hi Liz,

Tried to drop you a private message but this is blocked/not enabled (until you have a few more posts).

Please contact me off line. I may be able to help.

raw. (australian based)

3. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

New Design

Liz,

As Raw said, tried a PM and e-mail but no contact allowed so will have to try the direct approach!

I don't think you will find an off-the-shelf design to suit your exact needs but a bespoke design shouldn't be much more expensive depending on the builder's experience.

Drop me a line and I can give you a good quote for same. I have looked at similar design requirements in the past and may have something to suit that could be adapted for you.

Best of luck.
    Graham Westbrook
    Naval Architect

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Welcome aboard Lizbeth.

Yes there are some proven yards in SE Asia and China too, to start with the last question.

Your requirements will hardly fit a existing design is my guess. But it is possible to tune a existing one to match your needs or go for a custom one.

Feel free to send me a message to discuss a list of NA´s / designers and probably yards, I would recommend.

Regards
    Richard

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

And how did you experience Ausralia ??? I hope it was a good one :D

I thought I misread there :D

Couldn't pass up on such a good opportunity to moc tho...

You've come to the right place Lizbet, the finest of them lurk here including one boat builder that is suddenly very modest...;)

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The requirements don't sound that impossible....changing an arrangement to get some sea berths is nothing. The bottom plating request is a bit heavy, 5-6mm would be more usual in this size. But stipulating skin thickness without looking first at the framing system is premature.

Designers like
    Dudley Dix, http://www.dixdesign.com/
    John Simpson http://www.simpsonmarinedesign.com/
    Or Graham Radford http://www.radford-yacht.com/
    Should be approached about adapting an existing design.

You don't mention style....below is a simple and fairly traditional 60' vee bottom cargo schooner.

Cargo60views.jpg

Or alternatively a more complex radius chine 65' yacht style ketch....

66ketchrc.jpg

That's two very different projects.......good luck

7. austinsteele

austinsteele New Member

Lizbet,
    I saw some cool drawings in the gallery of an australian designer, here. He had drawings of a 57(?) foot ketch. His name is Mike John(s).
    Frank

8. Elena

Elena modusmaris.com

Hi Liz,
    we had a chance to think a lot for a sailing yacht for Antarctica when we did design for Yachting World Design Competition... have a look on attached files...
    So, we can design your boat. You will find contact details in my profile.

There is another option if a split rig not so critical for you. We can offer you our 60' steel yacht (Bermudan sloop). Find below some her picture and layout. All berths (3+3+2+3) are good sea berths. Also she has 6000 litres of fuel in 2 build-in tanks and so on... :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Lizbet

Lizbet New Member

Thank you everybody.

Fanie you are a boatbuilder who is not modest usually ? I am intrigued as to what an immodest boatbuilder looks like on the job.

I will enable my email, I dont know if I can PM.

Does anyone have a contact for Mike John(s) ? and how do I find his designs?

Apex you are the top ? I would like to know your thoughts, I will try to enable my email for this web site.

Tad, and the other designers that posted, thankyou. I'll come back to you later if I may, but first some more to think of.

All the best
    Liz

10. Lizbet

Lizbet New Member

I found the settings and have enabled email from other users.

Could you pleae send me your links and website details and other private thoughts to my email

Thans so much

Liz

PS I budgeted $20k Australian for the design But I would be interested in corresponding with the yards for a start since they will give me my allowable budget.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

:eek: You're kiddin right... I'd rather not, it's nothing spectacular :rolleyes: like when I was younger :D

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hähä..no, sure not. Just choosen a dumb nickname.

And I think (only a wild guess), Fanie was referring to me, with the "modest" boatbuilder.

I am in contact with Mike Johns and will send you a mail later tonight.

Regards
    Richard

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Modest ? This is the type of thing Richard boat builder is responsible for... see picture.

Richard has just started another boat and is building one for everyone on the forum too...

Attached Files:

• Subs.jpg
      Subs.jpg
      File size:
      188.8 KB
      Views:
  14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Only when we have a bit large capacity surpluses in our workforce we do that! Not every week...
    Yours will have extra lead ballast to keep you upright, Fanie.:p

15. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

60' Boat. Antartica & South Pacific.

A bigger version of the rendering has been built with High Latitudes in mind. ie: double bottom and watertight bulkheads troughout. This schooner version, is more representative in terms of rig, for what it seems you are looking for.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.