aluminum Flat boat question

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by chris3298, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I was gonna try and see if i could use program to draw out what I want to build but heck it is easier to just tell it, maybe.

I've been wanting to build a aluminum flat boat for a while, I want to build one for speed to play on the river. I'm wanting it to be 14-15ft in length 48 inch bottom.

What I want to know some boats have maybe what they call the Rake of where the bow rakes down say like 5 ft and the bow seems to be really sharp and pointy while some have a rake that looks like the boat would plow through the water.

My question is this, now this is extreme what I'm about to say, I'd like to know if I had say a 14ft flat bottom boat and the rake started say from the bow and came back to say 7ft and then it flattens out to the stern would this be then way to much rake? I'm thinking this maybe good for speed now not sure how well it would sit in the water now. Lets say the boat is 48 inches at the bottom and the beam maybe 68 inches. Would this be to much rake?

I'm thinking with a flat bottom boat once you've over powered it and you're really cruising you're only gonna have about 2-2 1/2 foot in the water at the stern but thinking with more rake to stern it may lighten the boat up more making it faster.

I understand this is extreme but I wanna know will it float and would it help with more speed. I understand you go with to much rake to stern I would think it would catch air and flip. maybe not even want to take off and get on a plane right.

Is the only way to do what I'm thinking is basicly trial and error?

Hopefully I haven't confused yall in my crazy boating idea.

So what are yalls thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Chris

2. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Come on someone must know something about this? don't make me go post on the dang on other forums. I already got a response to I'm pretty much nuts for what I want to do. :D

Chris

3. crocmanau

crocmanau Junior Member

boat plans

i also live in louisiana and i would like to build a boat kinda like you want to build and was wondering if you found any plans? because i can not find any!!

4. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

There is a guy in Sulfur Louisiana who sells plans for 29 dollars for building a wooden flat boat. I have emailed him and he said that no one has built an aluminum boat with his plans. I then started to ask him about how i wanted to build and he really didn't want to comment because he just doesn't know if it would work. Here is his site http://www.unclejohns.com/jonboat/default.htm

There's that guy Mike Kilbert I think his name is from Hammond Louisiana who has also been on the show swamp people and he builds aluminum boats kinda how i want it but not exactly.

Ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while at the boat launch yesterday and he has a boat built by a guy name Charles Lenoard from Pierre Part Louisiana but his boat seems more like it is designed for a mud boat motor although he does have a 40 merc on it. That boat is heavy duty built with a 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides. I want mine to be 1/8 plate everywhere being lighter for speed.

I did notice on his boat though what was used for the bracing in bottom that i liked and the boat had no chimes in it and the sides weren't bent they were welded to the bottom. I'm thinking this maybe better for speed.
    I will put maybe 3-4 chimes in it because it will help it track better. My friend with the custom boat has no chimes and slides really bad in turns thats why I think it's more design to be a mudboat. The sliding was fun/kinda freaky but he likes it.

The best thing I can do is find a boat or several different boats takes some notes and go from there. My friend said I could take some measurements from his if i ever need to and I probably will.

5. crocmanau

crocmanau Junior Member

Thanks for the info! i'm not really looking for speed (but it would be nice lol) just a general set of flat boat plans. I do a lot of fishing in Dulac south of Houma. I have a 14' foot flat boat with a 25 evinrude it does fine but its really old and kinda falling apart, but fish don't discriminate lol. i would like to put a console in it, and also would like it to be 16' or bigger. and why does he think the wooden plans wont work for aluminum?

Thanks,
    Brandon

6. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Currently have a 15' alweld V La model with a 17 inch transom and a 50 Tohatsu. Will do just over 39mph with stock prop but probably could go 55 but this is more my fishing boat. I'd rather build a boat and buy a used motor to hop up.

The guy never said that aluminum wouldn't work just that no one has tried to build it using aluminum with his plans. I want speed and he wouldn't comment on certain things I was asking because he was like i don't have a engineering degree. He told me what he did was years ago had a flat bottom boat he liked a lot and copied it and drew up some plans for other people to build. I've sometimes thought about maybe buying his plans and modify them I don't know though I'll most likely copy thing from my friends boat.

Living south of Houma you could probably drive around and find a custom boat you like buy the owner a 12 pack and ask if you could take some measurements and they'd be fine with it.

7. crocmanau

crocmanau Junior Member

oh ok. i dont live in houma i live in baton rouge i just fish there a lot lol. have you ever built a boat before? i ask because i have not but i have some welding experience, and my friends are experienced welders so if i ever get in trouble they can help lol. how difficult is it? and i was thinking to start small like a pirogue for practice, before i start building the boat i want to build. this is like what i want

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/classifieds/pics/p1282056522253992.jpg

thanks,
    Brandon

8. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Built a boat no, I've been welding for about 6 years and 2 of that was welding on 47 ft marine life boats I was around fitters every day so I picked some stuff up from them. My dads a trim carpenter and thought I'd ask him to help me with this one. I figure I'll build a jig for the boat out of wood. I have a good idea of how to do it and what I want.

9. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Do not stop. The beginning is half the battle

10. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Isn't that kinda like a GI Joe saying? :D

Thanks I won't give up, i know it will take me a while maybe a year before i build, I always tend to really think stuff out before diving in.

Just watched the video of your boat building and dude that thing is bada** have you complete it? looks insanely fast

11. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Dude is ECONOMIC SITUATION IN GREECE is quite difficult but will swim as saying you. I want to see your work when you finished I do not understand what is bada

12. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I think the entire world is pretty much hurting economically but can't be down forever it's gotta bounce back eventually. I was saying your boat is "badass" meaning the coolest, nicest, looking design everyone wants one :D

13. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Thank you for your good words and I wish you MERRY CHRISTMAS . I'll wait for the new construction of your

14. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Junior Member

Edit wrong forum so sorry, didnt look 1st

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

15. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Junior Member

Aluminum boats are nice, fast boats are nice but if you stalk Redfish in Mosquito Lagoon you can't bump anything as they really spook the fish. I do love them for shallow or weedy water and hauling around. Besides lighter makes for less fuel.
    Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.