Steel boat welder

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by oldboater, May 18, 2006.

1. oldboater

oldboater New Member

First of all, im new to the board as far as a member but have read it for awhile and really enjoy learning from the people here.

I am the owner of an older steel hull houseboat that is in pretty good shape other than an area of the hull inside back toward the engine bilge area. I have contacted and talked to several steel boat owners who have had problems similar and had their boats replated and fixed. I want to have mine replated as well...problem is, I need a reference on a good welder or service that does this kind of work. I kinda hate to just call anyone who has never worked on boat hulls. Makes me kinda nervous. I live in far southern illinois. I would just like anyones advice on what I should do in taking steps to find someone. Or even better, someone from the general area that knows of such a welder or service? That would be great! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read about my lifes problems. Good boating.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Considering where you live, I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble finding a competent welder - you should be able to find a marine welder whether you live on the Mississippi River side or the Ohio River side.

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Actally you have the best tool for getting over your nerves. The internet. Read up on welding steel boats. I just finished 3 pages of Google on this very subject, not to mention the archives here.
    Do you have to haul the boat or load it on a trailer? If you haul it then they will have (or know of) someone quallified. If on a trailer, then any "job shop fabricator" will have the skills needed. Job shop takes whatever comes thru the door, so they have varied exsperience. Will you do the prep work of removing any lines that might exploide or flame? Remove any equipment that will hinder access to wire wheels, grinding, measureing or electrode movement? Are there structural issues involved or a flat panel patch? Will you be on hand during repair?
    Almost anyone who fabricates steel will be a good choise. They will know about dissimilar thickness fatique, weld time on any one spot to prevent distortion, even the shape of the patch is important.
    The more you know about it the better "they will do the job. If you learn their lingo then an exchange of ideas and understanding can take place. If you know the rigt questions to ask, then finding someone that knows how to do it right the first time is easier.A farmer is also a good bet if he repairs his machinery.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.