Steel/ Aluminum Transition Stock

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by timgoz, Feb 13, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello All,

Does anyone know if steel to aluminum transition barstock, in sizes suitable for small steel boat (approx. 25ft.) construction, is available?

If available, is the cost extreme?

I want to use an aluminum deck & cabin with a steel hull.

I know they make explosivily bonded stock, but am not sure if it would be compatible with standard construction- size wise.

Composition wise, the steel side would need to mate with mild steel & the aluminum with the appropriate marine grade stock.

Thanks for any help.

Take care.

TGoz

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Originally it was made by Dupont and called Detacouple. It is now made by the Dynamic Materials Corps.

It certainly was available in sizes suitable for 25ft boats, although it is always thicker than the plate sizes being joined. But that's no problem. Just remember to tack the aluminium side to it first to act as a heat sink.

The only down side is the cost. It may be worth exploring bolted / gasket joints as well.

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Crag,

They actually have a facility on Dunbar Mountain, about 15 miles from here, where they make the stuff. It's in an old limestone quarry. It is right by a nice trout stream I fish on occasion.

I'm not sure if they just test there, or if it is an actual production facility. I used to know a metalurgist who worked there when Dupont ran it. Since then I've lost contact with him, plus he is now retired. He had given me a contact name- lost it to.

Bolting with gaskets has crossed my mind. What does not appeal to me is loosing the watertight integrity of an all welded boat. On the other hand, done right, bolts and gasketts should be able to do a real good job.

TGoz

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

As Crag Cay said, it is more costly than the base metals; however, in the shipyard we have found it cheaper than paying someone to drill, tape,and bolt a lot of holes. And it wins hands down in maintainence which can be a considerable cost in the life of a ship.

Depending on the length/complexity of the joint, there will be some break-even point.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks Jehardiman,

I'm looking at a total lentgh of approx. 50 feet.

The deck/ sheer joint should be pretty straight forward; 1/8" deck to 1/8" hull.

The transvers frames (1/4") will also have to be dealt with at the sheer. That will require more thought.

Any thoughts on accomplishing/ designing the above joint would be appreciated.

Does anyone know of someone who can supply transition stock in smaller quantities & dimensions?

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.