Staysail Rigging

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by krasno, Jul 2, 2008.

1. krasno

krasno New Member

I purchased a Vagabond 42 ketch about 3 years ago and ever since the staysail has been giving me problems. Originally the boat had a boom that attached directly to the stay. However the previous owner added a roller furling system thus leaving nowhere for the boom to attach. When I got the boat the staysail simply had it's sheets running through blocks on the track where the boom had once been (see images). Unfortunately this set up produces quite a sloppy sail shape, causing the leech to curve in toward the centerline at an extreme angle generating much heel with little thrust. To remedy this I usually tie a dock line to the clew and pull it back, needless to say this is clumsy and not self tacking. I have looked into a deck mounted boom (like you often find on Island Packets) however, I have found no good place to mount is because of the cluttered foredeck (see attached images).

Any advise on this situation would be greatly appreciated. I would like to maintain the self tacking capability if possible and I do not have the original boom.

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You need a curved 1/2" SS rod behind the furler. It has to be strong enough to mount under the furling drum (It would ideally be welded to the stay eye, or at least be solidly attached to whatever the stay attaches to).
    The boom then has an eye that hooks onto the "horn" in such a way that it can only escape the horn if positioned nearly along the sail's luff. I have this setup and it works well. The boom may require shortening, and the eye may have to be fabricated. It is fairly foolproof.

Alan

3. krasno

krasno New Member

That sounds like it will work well. When I go up to the boat this evening I will check it out.

Thanks,
    Kris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.