Glass to aluminum?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Matt.D, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Will fiberglass poly or expoxy stick sucsessfuly to aluminum?

2. NADreamcatcher

NADreamcatcher Junior Member

Matt, I would say if you must, that epoxy resin would be your best bet not polyester or vinylester resin. The expansion and contraction of Al could be the biggest problem, which would break it's adhesion and allow moisture in creating a big mess. Guess it depends on what you are trying to do. Automotive driveshafts have been Al covered with composites semi succesfull, but once the moisture gets in the expansion from the al corrosion causes the composites to split. It appears to be succesful with high pressure Al cylinders. Maybe someone else can give you some first hand experience. Provide some more details as to your intent with the mix.

3. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Hi NAD, thanks for the reply, im thinking of extending the hull i have its an old glass over ply 21 ft. I want to build a tub (in the shape of the hull) to bolt to the transom 1mt long ,extend the stringers thru and bolt the to aluminum tub. I want to mount an outboard on the new tub but also cut a large part of the exsisting transom out afterwards so i have a larger rear deck. To give it extra strength i need to continue the floor thur to the new al. tub and aswell asscrewing it to the extended stringer i thought i would glass the floor to the al tub. Hope that makes sense! any suggestions?
    Matt

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.