new to boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nauticraft, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nauticraft

Nauticraft New Member

Hello everybody, i am new to boat design and i am wondering what software would be the best to use to design a boat. i am currently a user of inventor 2008 and i am wondering what else i can use or should use. i would prefer to use inventor so if there is anyone out there that uses it can you tell me how you like it thanks for all the input

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Almost anything will draw the outline of a boat, even a pencil. If you want software that draws the structure of the boat, that is available at a price.

You cannot design a boat unless you know what naval architects know and the software they use now is only a replacement for the pencils they used to use and still do. Car designers use pencils, so do building architects and so do the naval architects. College is useful and so are these.

http://www.proboat.com/digital_issues.html

I googled and you should learn to do so also. :D :D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Pericles

3. Nauticraft

Nauticraft New Member

well thanks for being an *** but i am just trying to put what is already in pencil and engineered into a 3d model, so i am sorry for the confusion and disrespect i have apparently caused you.

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

What did you expect?

How could anyone possibly know that you have proceeded so far, when you seem completely unable to string sentences together with punctuation and capitals. You write like an eight year old.

You only get one chance to make a good impression, pal and you blew it!

Shall we start again? Try Leo Lazauskas.

http://boatdesign.net/forums/member.php?u=182

Pericles

5. Nauticraft

Nauticraft New Member

You are right and I am sorry, I should have done a little more research about what I wanted to ask before I asked, and as for my grammar some forums are relaxed and informal so I will keep that in mind when I post another topic. I am a firm believer in first impressions are everything so I am sorry for sounding ignorant and unappreciative of the help, I do understand that I was unclear and I will be sure to correct that in the future.

6. Ramius41

Ramius41 Junior Member

Wow , so only Naval Architects are allowed to design boats these days? I didnt get that memo!....:rolleyes:

7. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Everyone has software they think is best. Try FreeShip version 2.6, lots of beginners are using it. It is fast and powerful ... and free. It even runs on Linux under wine, which is the way I use it myself.

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Are you the fictional Ramius after Red October?

I did not say only naval architects can design boats. It's currently a free world and you can do whatever you want to do, provided you are prepared to accept the consequence that you might die in your attempt. That's true freedom.

This is what I wrote. "You cannot design a boat unless you know what naval architects know". The operative word being "know". I am, of course, assuming that someone who states they are new to boat design as Nauticraft did in his first post, wants a vessel that is safe and successful, hence my suggestions.

Before there were naval architects there were shipwrights, who had years of accumulated experience about what worked and what did not. They kept that information to themselves for reasons of commercial sensitivity and national security. Thus, there were many shipyards like

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/bucklershard/villagehistory.cfm

which were overseen by a Master Builder like Henry Adams who answered to the Royal Navy for his livelihood. A presumption about wanting to own a seaworthy boat is not without justification in my opinion, unless you know differently?

If you are a flourishing self taught designer and builder of a number of lucrative ocean going vessels, you probably would be quietly confident, with the emphasis on "quietly", Otherwise, having perused all your past jottings to now, I'd say you should read more about the world history of ships and their men, before mounting your high horse. Wow, you can't say you haven't got the memo now, can you?

Pericles

9. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Pericles, bad day? eh...you almost killed the guy.

If Inventor can handle nurb surfaces it is very suitable for boat design. Use as few control points as possible, that leads fare surfaces. About twenty years ago I started to design boats with Autocad, I even made a massive amount of autolisp routines to help me. Mechanical desktop was a big step, I could design real surfaces and not just 2D+ drawings. Then in the year 2001 I colladed Rhino, year after I noticed RhinoMarine and here I stay...

1 person likes this.

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Removed - stupidly posted on wrong thread. Sorry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.