Starting Problem Mercruiser 5.7

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by The Kid, Jul 5, 2006.

?

In the event of a marine mishap who would you contact first?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2006.
  1. Cost Guard via radio?

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Marine Police via Cell Phone?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Now I am jumping in here,-- What bill says Is that when the choke shaft turns to close the butterflies there is a cam that comes under the slow running screw, It turns by gravity and when you open the throttle the cam is allowed to fall infront of the slow running screw when the choke is on. Usually three or more steps of different idling speed. As the choke heats up from the heating element it slowly turns open the choke and the cam also slowly begins its travel back to off, allowing the fast idle screw to sit on each of the three stages. Finally when the choke is right off the cam comes out of the way of the idle screw and it then sits on its normal operating idle stop---phew. What he says about the carb bieng automotive I dont know but sounds right.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

(_8-(|) D'oh!

3. The Kid

The Kid Junior Member

Stonebreaker,
    Thanks for the info on the fast cam deal. This is a marine Mercruiser 2 BBL carb and it idles at 1000 RPM on the choke cam. When the cam falls away the next time the axcelerator is moved, it idles around 600 RPM. May not be enough to pull my transom off.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.