starting out

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by H20fwler, Feb 22, 2006.

1. H20fwler

H20fwler Junior Member

I am wanting to start learning to weld aluminum.

How much (ballpark) will it cost to get started. I have a cheap MIG welder that I used to fix sheet metal on cars and some small projects. I know I will have to change gas tank but can I get by with a cheap welder to start??? I know it will not be the best but I do not want to sink 2K in starting.

Thoughts?

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

It depends on how hard you're going to wail on the welding. you could destroy a cheap machine in a matter of months. But if you're just practicing, it should be fine (pay attention to the duty cycle for your particular machine). You should practice alot because aluminum it as easy to weld as two sticks of butter (I exaggerate). Switching over from your little machine to a good one might cause you to stumble a bit if you're really busy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.