starting out in boat building

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by epicadventures, Jan 9, 2007.

1. epicadventures

epicadventures Junior Member

Hello Forum,

I am just planning to start a very small boat building business and I am seeking advice. I have a degree in Industrial Design and I spent some time working for a small wooden boat designer in Annapolis so the design is not a problem. What I am wondering is, what are the regulations, liabilities and so forth that I should be concerned about if I am building say 10 boats a year. These boats would be 17' - 25' long wooden fishing boats. What should I consider, where should I source outboard motors?

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check OSHA, state regulations, local regulations and get a manufacturer's certificate from the USCG(they give you a manufacturer letter code for the HIN)
    I can provide you with outboards delivered to your door.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm pretty sure you will have to conform to the USCG level flotation requirements. The ABYC has lots of recommendations, whether they are manditory or not, I don't know, but all their stuff is based on experience.
    http://www.abycinc.org/
    As far as liabilities, #1. I believe you will be liable for anything you make until the thing no longer exists. #2. You can't afford liability insurance. Sam

4. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

Take a business course.

Don't do it!!!!(unless you have wad of money and then I would say, patronize the arts and have it built for you by one of the many starving builders) Having just gotton on my feet from an illfated boat building venture - and yes, considering going into another one...why am I so #$%$ stupid...

Its a tough racket cowboy. Get the point. If not, I wil be happy to share my pain.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I have a web site just for people who want to get started in boat building. Take a look and you should find the answers to most of your questions about regulations, standards, etc. http://newboatbuilders.com. You also need to contact the Coast Guard. Call Mr. Rick Gipe at 202-372-1074 or Mr. Richard Blackman at 202-372-1077.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

7. scott steffe

scott steffe Junior Member

lol
    hey that was like a refresher coarse thanks

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Raggim Scott, Glad you liked it. I have spent years working with beginning boatbuilders and that page is based on a lot of horror stories, and success stories. I hope it keeps a few out of bankruptcy court.

9. epicadventures

epicadventures Junior Member

Thanks for these responses, they are very helpful. I'm obviously in good company wanted to build boats for a living.

10. scott steffe

scott steffe Junior Member

yea ive done some of those things before
    but more of the good things so far
    with no real formal training on business i did have business law in high school thats it really just common sence
    and the school of hard knocks
    im opening up some new lines hydroplanes,kayaks,flats boats
    with my corvette parts and harley bags etc
    custom fabrication is my true love
    but like all business its never steady very long on one thing
    like some times we get all grady whites in for repair or rebuild wreck etc
    then ill get a run on fab parts
    i cant ever figure it out
    but thats how we roll
    lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.