kite sail

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ramminjammin, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ramminjammin

ramminjammin Junior Member

Could I user a kite sail on a regular crusing sailboat ? Are the cargo steamers using them to save fuel? So maybe I could use one instead of a spinnaker ?
    Mounting the kite from the deck instead of the spinnaker attached through the top of the mast would eliminate the death roll and broaching ?

anyone using a kite ?

2. Munter

Munter Amateur

There are a few threads on here about kite sails.

I think a simple summary is that while kites demonstrate potential, the practical issues of launching and retrieving and dealing with kites in the water makes it more difficult than most people are currently willing to deal with.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Right,
    use the search function and you´ll find several threads where we discussed that topic to the very last point.
    Though without any valuable result for the intended application.

Regards
    Richard

4. ramminjammin

ramminjammin Junior Member

i used the search , thanks , and it didn't get me far. On the web i saw one cat with a kite and a big turret thing on the deck to control it, one person on the turret and one on the tiller. looking at that video put home the complexity.
    here is
    www.canadianwindrider.com/products/watercraft/kitecat.html a link

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.