Starter

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by MT455, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MT455

MT455 New Member

I have a 73 Tahiti jet with the 455 olds and i need to replace the starter. Ive unhooked the batt and the exhaust manifold on that side. I can get to the bolt on the outside of the starter and can get the socket on the bolt on the inside but there is no room for movement on the inside bolt. The only way i see this happening is to lift the motor up to get at it? If anyone has a tip to get this done with out lifting the motor i would greatly appreciate it.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You could unscrew the inside bolt with a long extension and an universal joint, but you can never install the new starter that way.

Remember that this engine was designed to be in a car: plenty of room under the car to rotate a socket wrench.

3. MT455

MT455 New Member

I know this is a car motor in a boat.:) Im not sure a universal joint would help in the removal of the inside bolt though. Im having to use a 1/4in drive ratchet with 9/16ths socket and i can get that on the inside bolt but there is absolutly no room to get any torque on it to turn it. Oh yea and a BH hasnt helped either.:D

4. MT455

MT455 New Member

Well i got it off the starter that is, now its off to the parts store to have them test it and go from there. Fun part will be getting it on LOL.

5. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

On some BOP 215's I used to weld a nut onto a piece of studding ,then weld that to the bolt head and leave it in place.

6. MT455

MT455 New Member

How would this help in getting the starter off the the motor i have in the boat i have? The starter isn't bolted to the head its bolted to the block. Had the starter tested at orileys and both it and the solenoid were kaputski, new starter and exhaust manifold gasket will be in tomorrow so hopefully ill be back on the water this weeknd and ill remember to bring extra gas this time because running out in the middle of the lake miles from camp kinda sucks. LOL

Whoops my bad i just re-read your post and that makes sense to do LOL now only if i had a welder and knew how to weld, that is something i may go to school for or get into a apprenticeship welding program.

7. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

The trick, I find ,to getting the best out of these forums is to read the replies carefully and not LOL too much. however your gracious apology is accepted ,good luck with your boat,enjoy your summer.

8. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Did you get the new one on now MT455? Starters have frequently been real frustrating to me too... a 5 minute job that turns into 3 hours because no access and no clearance is provided where they end up when engine is in the boat. I remember spending a whole afternoon hanging upside down in 12" of space trying to get two nuts on with 36" extensions with the starter held with a strap from the 2" of clearance on the side... You learn how small a spaces your hands can fit in when push comes to shove and lots of ways to keep things in place. Magnets. Tape. Fun times!

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A gear wrench, a crow's foot or a custom made wrench or socket extension are the most common methods of this sort of difficulty. A crow's foot is a tool very few actually own and one you don't use very often, but when you need one, it's usually the only tool that works.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.