Gnat Class Trimaran Dinghy

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by joz, Mar 1, 2007.

1. joz

joz Senior Member

Hi is there anyone in Australia that has built and/or sails the Gnat Class Trimaran that has been designed by Build a Boat Company in Brookvale NSW, as I am interested in building this boat later this year to which is one of 5 contenders that I am considering as I would like to get back into sailing and enter the Sail Melbourne series.

Thanks.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Gnat Class Tri

Any chance you could post pictures and specs of this boat? Sounds interesting...`

3. joz

joz Senior Member

Here is a Picture of the Gnat Class Tri, Sorry no Specs as I don't want to get into trouble with the designer. I am just finding out if there are others that have built or sail this type of boat and their toughts and to see if there is a class association or not.

Attached Files:

4. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

the center hull looks big and the amas look kinda small. but I'm no expert...just my .02

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I'm with Rapscallion. The amas are way too short, too close to the main hull and too far aft. There will be a lot of wave interference between the main and the lee hull. The amas are small enough to be at risk of burying, which is not a good prospect.

6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

It looks like the "monohull with training wheels" philosophy of trimaran design, which totally misses the point of a multihull.

The point of a multihull is to have a long narrow, lightweight hull that has low wave drag. But you can't make a single hull like that stable without adding a lot of weight, so you use multiple hulls that are even more slender. This increases the wetted area, but you can make that up with the sail-carrying ability of the wide beam.

It's not clear to me that a design like this has many advantages over a beach cat, except for maybe a place to put your feet. I'd go with a beach cat if you want a multihull in this size range. Speed is fun! Dinghies are fun, too, but in different ways.

That assumes sailing is your main interest. Buying a used boat is always a more cost effective way to go sailing than building. But if building itself is your thing, then there may be merit in building the Gnat. If nothing else, it looks like you could take the amas off and have a decent dinghy!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.