Start of Naval Architecture Study

Discussion in 'Education' started by dishsail, May 7, 2003.

1. dishsail

dishsail Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I am the one that started the discussion on "Naval Architecture vs. Yacht Design." Now I am hoping a few of you in this form could help me make up my mind on a few things.

First, I am considering on attending the University of Michigan or University of New Orleans for Naval Architecture. However, I'm not sure if it would be better to just go to the Landing School. I have basically made up my mind that I don't really care about the money and would rather be doing something I enjoy. I know that I want to design boats, but I not sure what kind and I may not know until I get in the field. So what suggests do you have on schooling?

Also, I am wondering if some of you could suggest whether it would be more valuable to me to learn some hand and computer drafting skills first or would it be better to take some basic engineering courses at a local college. As of write now I can only do one or the other. Please let me know.

Finally, if you do suggest drafting then what would you suggest as far as learning mechanical or architectural drafting with a hint of ship lines?

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

A difficult question to answer succinctly, as it is fraught with so many "ifs" and "buts". From my perspective (twenty years in the trade, five in my own office, with experience ranging from yachts to warships to OSV's), I'd suggest doing the CAD drafting course ("drafting is the language of engineering" - one of my early texts), then doing the course that gives you the best technical education in engineering and naval architecture. My experience has been that the "fun" bits of designing hulls and rigs is but a tiny percentage of the work, and the calculating and drafting of mechanical bits and strength and stability is where most of your time is spent. Also, the broader the scope of your training, the more useful (hireable) you are to the people who will hire you to do the tasks that will give you the experience you need to become credible as a designer in your own right.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

U M

The reason the Landing School exists is for people who do not have the option of a university education in engineering for one reason or another. If you can get a university education, you should.

You won't have as much opportunity, though, to study CAD as much as would probably be good for you. Join AUGI (www.augi.com) and try to get as much CAD practice as you can. You can get IntelliCAD free from some sources, or a student version of AutoCAD. Rhino is also a good, inexpensive package to know well.

4. musicman803

musicman803 Junior Member

software

I am going to be a senior in high school, therefore I don't have much info to offer. If you plan on getting your own software but don't want to spend thousands of $ check out http://www.studica.com/
    Discounts for students and education.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.