How much is a second hand outboard worth?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got a Tohatsu 8hp ive owned it for 15 years and I bought it second hand. I never use it and it runs well, lovely G/box,--just old!!

Whats it worth?

2. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

I recently owned a smaller 5hp tohatsu longshaft......they're good motors...around here a good one like that would bring around $500-600 bucks if you are patient...and don't take the low-ball offers you will get..maybe a little more.... Small 2-strokes in good cond are getting harder to find in general I would say...and that 8hp has the power of a 9.9 4-stroke of course.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Okay Frosty, different opinion here. Guy rents a slip in Key Largo. Looks in the dock box and finds it full of stuff. Figures owner will come back for it. Ten years later figures owner probably isn't coming back for it. Finds a Merc 25 in the bottom. He never even knew it was in there. Apparently new and never used and about 15 years old. Sold it for $100. Still had original factory tuning and break in oil in the foot. I spent two months getting it sorted out for a friend. Had it running like the cat's meow and it got stolen. Talk about a stress relief soak. Fifteen years in a dock box in Florida. That motor casting was bombproof. I'd go maybe 75 bucks on spec and 150 if I could tank test it. And I'm the kind of guy who will spend three hours screwing with it before you get the 150.

But the guy paddling his RIB in from his 50' Hunter might pay a bit more. Put a sign up where cruisers do their laundry. That is a popular tender motor. I have no idea about the local market conditions, but since it's an asian product, it shouldn't be taxed too bad there I would imagine. You might get 500 for it in Georgetown, Bahamas.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

What are you willing to pay?

5. souljour2000

Tohatsu made these for mercury and nissan too ...I hear......all the same motors 15 hp and under...On another note...my '89 Merc sailmaster was strong but the choke/primer system is a crappy plastic knob...and the carb just does not like ethanol.....not that any of them do...glad to get rid of that thing...but finally got a good diesel in a boat under me I hope...25 hp Universal that is 90 percent kubota tractor parts...installed in'88 and 1400 hrs...seems like she would push a narrow old CCA boat enough in a light gale that I could scratch upwind...right?...:)...sigh....gonna have to be...gotta remove and clean the tank this week...if the PO send me the fuel injectors he has for her....I might get her started for first time soon...using a remote aux tank while the main is being cleaned...gotta change fuel filter/raw water intake and the prop is still a mess..gotta clean that good too... i.e., if I can see it the thing at all in that gooky brown, tannic acid, Caloosahatchie fertilizer-laden Sugar plantation run-off ....just talking out loud...doubt Frosty's listening...hope he got pound sterling for his old tohatsu...;)

6. BPL

BPL Senior Member

$600 - $950 range for an 8 hp tohatsu in good running condition.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well its been up on the yacht clubs board now for 4 days at 200 dollars?

It runs like a RR.

8. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Super cheap at $200.
    Too bad the shipping wouldn't allow you to ebay it.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Still got it and not 1 caller.

One of us has got it wrong.

Might take 50 for it! If I stripped it and took it to the scrap yard ide get oh--30 for it. Lot of alluminium there.

10. BPL

BPL Senior Member

You asked what it's worth. Different question from what you can sell it for in some unknown place in Thailand! Surprised if there is no market for good condition used outboards in all of Thailand, but I learn something new every day.

11. souljour2000

Frosty, Not sure where your at in Thailand...but I bet if you took a trip down to the fish market wharf on market day and brought it with you ....you could find a buyer...There must be a fisherman around there who could use one...or maybe even trade it for a hell of alot of fresh seafood...some jumbo prawns maybe? I'd probably avoid the fish farm stuff / fish/shrimp corral fare...but fresh off a boat from the sea....mmmm...I must be hungry...bacon...she bought bacon the other night...center cut...it's breakfast time in Florida...

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I agree with your price, but I would think price would be higher in more remote locations. I would have guessed $1200 in Thailand at least.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thais dont buy second hand outboards. The showrooms on the main highway sell yanmars up to 300HP or the Honda place.

You should see the mercury showroom 'Seat co' http://www.seatboat.com/service.html

You must be watching too much TV or thinking of Vietnam or Cambodia.

Remote locations, ha ha ha.

Those Rambo movies have a lot to answer for.

You can buy a new Yanmar for 1500 dollar

14. souljour2000

Well then maybe just keep it...a bad typhoon might increase it's relative utility to you if all other modes of transportation are gone...you probably already have a dinghy for it or there'd be one floating by no doubt if the crap ever hits the blender...Then you have a back-up for re-assurance in such a emergency that you could dinghy over to the nearest embassy or British Consulate where there's a squad of Royal marines before the food /water shortages/typhoid outbreaks and the locals start to wonder if foreign nationals taste like chicken....:D

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its only worth what someone will pay you !!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.