standard sandable primer for plugs

Discussion in 'Materials' started by zember311, Oct 15, 2005.

1. zember311

zember311 Junior Member

Hello all!

Have a simple question for you... May be a no brainer, but I would like to be safe then sorry on this issue.

I have built several molds in the past / present, but I want to make it a bit simpler " time crunch "

In the past I make my plugs out of wood, spray them with gelcoat, sand them up to 2500, rub compound, wax, buff. ( 2500 is extreme, but it saves me from any mold inprefections )

so them it is the standard, PVA, then begin the gelcoat and lay-up..

on this plug I am building, I was thinking I could just spray the plug with primer, sand it smooth, buff then wax and polish before PVA then the rest as follows.

will a primer surface over wood ( several coats ) then polished work without any sticking issues? or should I stick to gelcoating the plug?

( just trying to find ways to save some time/money on these plugs.

thanks

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I can not give you a technical answer, but I can tell you to write down how many truthfull minutes each step takes. Have someone else on the stopwatch. When you finsh the job, review the actual time of each step. A detailed layout lets you zero in on steps to be attacked. I have found my first guesses wrong, once in a while.

3. Tactic

Tactic Junior Member

I have used several coats of epoxy primer on plugs for model yacht hulls and decks.The process worked fine with no issues.
    My process was as follows.
    Manufacture plug from MDF board.
    several coats of epoxy resin to seal.
    3 coats of Epoxy primer sading between coats.
    wax in the normal manner..PVA etc..mold layup.

Once on some production molds(again a small model) I used the system above but added a 2 pot finnshing coat(gloss black)
    The production molds came out without flaws.

4. solutionguy

solutionguy Junior Member

sandable primer

no problem i do that all the time I use a high build heavy solids automotive primer its three part very easy to use 4-1-1 sets like a rock is easy to sand and then wax like normal and use PVA any more questions c.hoggard@shaw.ca

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Zember,

Duratec primer by Hawkeye industries, formulated for that particular purpose, and very easy to sand.

Yoke.

6. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

PPG deltron used to work.Just make sure you use a suitable air-fed mask when spraying anything of this type.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.