Designing a propeller using Gawn Standard Series propeller (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Props' started by Gman999, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Gman999

Gman999 New Member

Hi all,

I am designing a propeller based on the Gawn Series and I cannot find the Gawn Kt-Kq chart for a BAR of 0.2. Does anyone know where I can obtain this chart? I would really appreciate it as I have searched everywhere online.

Kind regards,

Tariq

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

There may not be one. The Gawn series was specifically for wide bladed propellers to lower blade loading to prevent onset of cavitation.

3. Gman999

Gman999 New Member

Thank you for the reply but the Gawn propeller series have a BAR of 0.20-1.10, so there must be a chart for a BAR 0.2. Do you know where I can find it? I would really appreciate it as I need it quite urgently.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

FWIW, I've never seen a Gawn prop under a DAR of 0.5. A BAR of 0.2 would basically be the same as a Wageningen B with a BAR of 0.2 as that was the starting base (note the BAR, DAR and EAR are all different for the same prop). Since it was a 1952 RINA project, I would go look there in the original paper.

Edit to add...the papers are in Trans. RINA 1953 and 1957.
    http://www.rina.org.uk/hres/1993-1 Hope KJ - Aspects of Modern Propeller Design.pdf

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.