Stalling problem

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DeputyMike, Nov 22, 2006.

1. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

I have a 1991 chevy 350 V8 small block in a 1988 Renken Bowrider that I am completely restoring. After buying the boat last year, I used it several times during the summer before beginning the restoration. After launching the boat and starting up the engine (no problems starting), as soon as I would put it into reverse, it would cut off. I was never able to put the boat into reverse at the beginning of the run. After the engine had been warmed up for a while out on the water, I could get it to go into reverse without turning off, but not every time. It is very annoying to have to push the boat away from the trailer and wait until it drifts far enough to move out in forward drive! the boat is still torn apart (i have put off the engine work while i work on upholstery, paint, etc.). Any ideas on how to fix this problem? puleeeeeeeeeeeze?

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

The ignition interupter that momentarily stalls the engine when going into gear is not set up properly. They are sometimes difficult to setup due to a stretched cable or a missalignment problem. My suggestion(though not popular) is have a merc dealer do the setup. Its usually a two man job.