Stainless steel screws under epoxy !?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DanishBagger, May 20, 2008.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

one more question,,what if I have a dry bildge ,,and insulate the ss from the elements,,,by glassing over the ballast?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Correct Landlubber and it's a naturally occurring alloy to boot.

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

OK it seems I have misunderstood something I read, I took "stainless metal" as SS. Mea Culpa

4. Meanz Beanz

I thought Monel was a brand of Special Metals Corp.

http://www.specialmetals.com/index.php

How can they brand it if it is naturally occurring?

5. Meanz Beanz

I'd say that if you can keep it dry you'd be OK but I am starting to get paranoid about all stainless steel anywhere on a boat...

This guy goes one step further than most...

http://www.kastenmarine.com/metalparts.htm

Synthetic rigging is looking more attractive by the day!

6. masalai

masalai masalai

My feeling is, having seen a couple of winches removed, - - for any structure where water MAY be able to seep in on the metal parts of "glass" or composite builds, remove, inspect and replace regularly. - - Murphy is bound to strike when He is least welcome... chain-plates made of glass & link regularly removed and checked. . . No nails or other unnecessary metal that cannot be removed and examined. . . Deck hardware regularly removed, inspected and replaced. . . Standing rigging of spectra. . . Big pain and concern with the highly desirable roller reefing? How? What? ... what a can of worms... Some I am happy to fix on build time... - others - what is the solution?

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I have used ss on many parts of boats ,,skegs,,and rudder fastening ,,and fishing gear,,but I was most consernd about closing it off from air,example,,to epoxie a ss bolt,,or not to epoxie,,but seal it off from water,,I have seen ss last many years below the waterline ,,just didnt know how it will behave if sealed,

1 person likes this.
  8. masalai

masalai masalai

Which is what happens when a deck winch is mounted, and usually a bit of silica or something to seal the deck hole and the nut end below... with winching in "a race" - even friendly between cruisers to get the desired anchorage, the winch will work and could let moisture in to do its damage later.........

9. Meanz Beanz

I think if it is oxygen starved there must be either a mechanical or chemical breach of the existing layer of oxide for it to corrode. What that might be if you simply expoxy over it I don't know, some posts seem to suggest that it will corrode regardless but I am at a loss as to why if there is no movement or chloride from the salt water.... ?!?

10. masalai

masalai masalai

When you see it you will **** yourself... in the depths between bolt-head and nut, it just appeared like it was removed and no blisters of metalic oxide buildup - just a dark fairly smooth surface to about a tenth of the normal thickness.... bloody alarming... - not externally induced electrolysis as no connection with other metal - just a little moisture...

11. Meanz Beanz

Sounds distressing!

12. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Never replied to this tread before...

Have neither read all the previous posts. But my personal opinion here:

We have various material that goes under the name Stainless Steel, far too many.

Aisi 316; I would be careful using this in sealed areas (or epoxy it in) The Carbon content can cause corrosion, as the surface not beeing closed by natural (dense, insulating) corrosion, once started, small areas with a higher content of C, will act as a small battery, crossconnected corroding itself away. This would of course not start if we had a 100% homogeneous material, but it's not an ideal world.. The bloke grinding away with a grinder may cause smaller material with a higher carbon content to burn into the surface of this bolt, these are possible starting point for corrosion.

Aisi 316L; Low carbon, better much better. but probably not good enough under the waterline on a glassfibre hull.

A2/ A4: Not under water.

Under the waterline; Sealed in epoxy:
    I believe in the following:
    Titan
    NiCrMo (6Mo)

Heard romour that a material mentioned as MP35N or Alloy400 also shall have had some succsess.

Sorry, no easy, cheap solutions, I would even considered Zinc coated steel (hot dip galvanized) bolt before Aisi316 (Considered, I have not yet made up my mind...).

I have had the experience that Copper bolts in an (oak) keel held far better than A2 (or was it A4) bolts (the SS bolts more or less dissapeared, leaving some black peaks left). Puzzeled me, I really thought i had done a super job there..).:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Exactly my point also Longliner :mad: Seems the thread was more of a pissing match than anything else... or more so to piss on someone else. The screws would not make any difference whether they are left in or taken out. Even if they disintigrate it would make no friggin difference :mad: I would hate it if the structure of my boat is depending on screws :(

Now I may not have used - or removed - as many stainless steel screws as some of you have, and I doubt I have built as many and as glorious boats as some of you have, but none of the only four boats I built ever sunk, capsized or was in any way a lesser boat than any one else's boat. In fact, I know of a few so called pro boat builders that is very quick to copy a novicy nobody nothing like myself's ideas and claim them to their own fame :mad: What's more, if there'a **** on the water to be sorted out GUESS WHO DO THEY CALL. 4 5 C.

Now someone found out I was involved in electronics, and decided to use that as some sort of a springboard as to my 'incompetance wrt boating', lets see the electronics you've done. Boats are full of electronics nowadays so it's valid. Come on, post up on it. Or shall I just start a thread and throw my toys out if someone doesn't know the correct procedure to do some electronic building something :mad: Be just as unpleasant won't it

If you don't like the advice, or the comment wrt something that is offered by someone else it doesn't mean you have to use it. You don't have to abuse it either :mad:

And that over screws left in or taken out. Who the f cares.

14. Meanz Beanz

But sir I wasn't pissing :( ..... much. Just an idiot savant that got confused over conflicting inputs... theory vs reality as I know it... still abit fecking confused about what counts and what does not in this department..

15. masalai

masalai masalai

All I can add, as one who dwells in the deep caverns (a troglodite), is, I usually piss down-wind and those in the lea may get wet....

1 person likes this.