Restoration flooring

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by William Shirrel, Apr 28, 2021.

1. William Shirrel

William Shirrel New Member

:D. Hi ye'all !!
    Glad to be accepted to boat design.net !
    So, I'm restoring a pretty neat boat, with a great story!I received a call aug 23 2020, by a gentleman named jerry.He asked if I was "Diver Bill?" He preceded to tell me a story about winter of 2019.Long story , short during ice fishing season, actually Jan 2020
    ,where he drilled the hole thru the ice, He explained shinning his light down the hole, he seen a bright color and a bright flash.
    Now I had surveyed this lake 3 different years for evasive plant life,. The area he was talking about was in roughly 65-88 ft of water. He went on to say it took him 2 additional nights to make out a boat, and he was wondering if he could hire me to go get that boat!!:confused:
    My first thought was, he's nuts!
    No reports of sinkings in the last 7 to 10 years, that I've been involved w/ surveys. Thinking this boat will fall apart with the first AB ( that's air bag), I told him my fee's, in which he said yes.
    Luck was on my side when he told me he took g.p.s. standing over it. Knowing I'm not looking for a needle in a haystack, I said first dive is on me, assuming I could locate in 1800 pounds of air.we made plans, meet me at boat launch the following day.
    I was greeted with the biggest pontoon boat I've ever seen!!
    Glad it wasn't an 8 ft pram!!
    On location, looking over the side,
    You could not see anything.
    When it was confirmed we were on cordnance I slipped under the water and decended.10 ft , 15, 25,
    I still could not see! Finally, passing 48ft, I could start making out structures below me. At 61ft,
    It stuck out like a soar thumb!
    Bright blue green, yes it was a boat. When I landed gage check said I was @ 92 ft ?? , Huh,.
    What?? No this lake is 88ft!
    This craft was incredible!;)
    Turquoise top coat, white hull, and a set of gauges that looked as if there was a big light on them!!my assessment after swimming around it, this boat was in tached. Even the torquoise
    Vinyl seats looked greaot, Thu yes when touched, they fell apart.. it was a whole boat,!!? Keys and all!!
    Two days later this boat was just under the surface, and shortly after 5:30 pm, , Aug 28th, she was lifted by a local towing company onto a make shift trailer!!
    I apologize for drawing it out,
    But it's a very special craft!
    So the restoration is coming along, The glass was in incredible shape!, vinyl match was found and ready for install! Engine and outdrive, after being taken down,
    Cleaned up, even the oil was good.
    So now my question,..
    Jerry the proud new owner wanted it all oem!,. But the flooring, is playing elusive.
    By the way, the boat is a 1967
    Fiber form 16-ft. Built in Spokane WA , NOV 1966. It sank in 1971-72
    After careless intoxication.
    Now the flooring, pic included,
    Fiber form, called it AQUA !!
    FELLOW BOATERS PLEASE KEEP EYES AND EARS ON THE LOOKOUT!! IF I COULD FINISH OFF THE BOAT, WITH THAT FLOORING, THERE WILL BE A VERY, VERY HAPPY 88 YEAR OLD,
    "YOUNG MAN"!
    YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY. BILL

IMG_20210418_200151964.jpg IMG_20210418_200151964.jpg 0312211313a~3.jpg

bajansailor likes this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You can also buy the foam backed pleated vinyl sides.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Diver Bill, that is a wonderful story, thank you for posting it.

Could you post some more photos of the boat please, including a couple of overall views?

What type of engine does she have?

6. William Shirrel

Will post this afternoon,
    Had a scare this A.M. w/ owner of boat, but yes pic's soon. Bill

7. William Shirrel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.