Stable Kite for Camera

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Inquisitor, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Inquisitor

Inquisitor BIG ENGINES: Silos today... Barn Door tomorrow!

Most of us have probably seen this...

I've have always wanted to do this, but of all the kites I've made (with my kids) none are, quite what I would say, stable enough for me to invest expensive waterproofed camera gear. Well with the advent of stuff like Kodak's Playsport, its crossing my mind again.

So what style of kite gives this kind of un-attended stability while carrying a now cheap and impact/water resistant video cam?

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Probably a fairly large one.

Perhaps you should be looking at a stable camera instead.

-Tom

3. yipster

yipster designer

checking the net on kites i saw a lot of info on this, many types, tails, builds, lines etc
    most actually beeing pretty interesting reads

other ideas are f.e. a balloon, rc plane or when my ship comes in at €299 the allien jump jet below
    with 2 cameras saving eighter fwd or down view on a smartphone your controlling the wifi (50m) craft with

am thinking of taking one on a vacation shooting nice hotels to map new sketchup 5 star hotels with
    in trade of free bed and breakfast as i do want some more sunshine and clear warm water :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Ask this guy (click 'contact'). Here one of his pics....

[​IMG]

More pics and videos from him. Google ‘‘Kite Aerial Video’’ for more info...

Good luck!
    Angel

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd bet the kite is way up high about 150' of line, thus....

any movement of the kite will be greatly diminished on the line only 20' from the 'subject'.

I'd also suspect more than one kite on the string, again to reduce the effect of the sudden movement of one kite in a gust.

I think the stern of the boat is going to be where all the movement is. Last time I held a kite even on a gusty(at ground level) it seemed pretty steady.

1 person likes this.

7. yipster

yipster designer

a bridge can be used as well, had a frend once who even used them as crane for his boat :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.