Stability of Strange Canadian Boat (pictures inside)

Discussion in 'Stability' started by CatBuilder, Sep 11, 2010.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Very interesting discussion. this boat looks similar to the boats being talked about . Is this a dangerous boat ?[​IMG]

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

And to let you know why I no longer consider the idea:

I have not done any math... only used my eyes and the information that the fishing vessels held (if I recall) 500-1000lbs of fish as payload.

No yacht interior will weigh less than that fish payload. Also, putting a yacht interior into one of these boats (not the first one in the thread, but the second one) would surely cause the boat to sit such that the deck is nearly even with the water. This much I am sure of, even without doing any calculations.

They might be ok for their intended purpose or to haul small loads to islands, but to fill the interior up with staterooms, wiring, etc... I think I'd have a problem if I tried that.

My gut said it wouldn't work, but I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about these boats and if maybe my doubts were unfounded.

BTW: It's been a great thread and it's been very interesting to read about these boats in general. They sure do sell a lot of "trawlers" with the same type of hulls, such as the one I posted later in the thread and the one just above this post. However, I think both of those were designed for the cruising load, whereas the commercial fishing vessel (according to someone here) isn't designed for the extra load. You can convert a lobster boat, so I figured you could convert one of these. Apparently, lobster boats are designed for more payload carrying.

3. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

my background is deck hand on fishing boat (retired)
    my opinion will be to don't step aboard this boat even on a flat sea.
    But i am no designer.

[​IMG]

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

These are not as bad as they appear to be, but of course not thought to cross blue water.

Benford design as far as I can recognize.

Regards
    Richard

5. srimes

srimes Senior Member

any boat that carries a jeep is good in my book :D

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I assume it has some draft, and some ballast down low?

Cute little thing; I especially like the wind-up key on top.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah, the propulsion seems to be of the very reliable sort.:D

If that is a Benford design, they are capable of short coastal trips in good weather, but not more.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Like every question involving the use of a particular vessel....the answer is "It depends"......

Crossing the street outside your door is dangerous.....we accept that and receive a great deal of training in how to do it safely......training in how to use a particular vessel is in short supply.....the ultra high speed boat salesmen have learned it is necessary (keep the customer alive to buy a new faster boat next year)........but cruising boat buyers are usually set loose with little or no education in what their operational limits might be......so they learn by getting scared real bad.......

The original poster's question was; (paraphrase) "is it a good idea to convert this old fishboat to an ocean cruiser?" My answer was no...not a good idea because making the boat as safe as your average stock offshore cruiser would require extensive work by a naval architect, and a builder/owner willing to follow those recommendations to the letter.....not that it couldn't be done....obviously it can....cut the upperworks off and start over....but one might be better off starting with a different boat.

As for the Benford 35' Packet in the picture.....properly built and handled she is fine for Chesapeake Bay, the Intercoasal Waterway, or any protected water cruising.....Jay certainly doesn't claim these boats are offshore cruisers....they aren't....used properly they will be fine, and that's the key........

9. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

you know what happens when you don't know and gave your opinion like i did?
    i get it wrong.
    thank you all for your explanation about the use of the design. not any boat as to cross atlantic, it's true.
    and sure this vessel seams more comfortable than a fishing boat.
    next time i ask before shooting

10. XGloucesterman

XGloucesterman New Member

I just came across this thread and want to comment on it. My grandfather and 15-20 great lakes gillnet fishermen brought their boats to Gloucester, MA in 1909 -1910. The established the first successful gillnet fishery on the Atlantic coast. The boats were of the design you are speaking of and ranged from 19-35 ft. They were mostly enclosed. They fished off Gloucester, primarilly in Ipswich Bay-mainly in Winter to take Cod and Pollock.

My grandfather was Capt. John A. Dahlmer. The picture is of one of his early boats, "John Smith" fishing out of Dunkirk, NY. The second picture from l to r is one of the earlier type boats brought to Gloucester from the lakes. He later had a larger boat, "Margaret D" built and brought it to Gloucester. but there is no room to add it.

After the michigan men had been in Gloucester a few years they built larger boats of a more conventional design. They did that not because the boats they brought from the lakes were not safe; but because they sought to land more fish and needed larger boats. There is more information about this exhodus from Mich to Ma on my blog @http://bill-hubbard.artistwebsites.com
    Bill Hubbard

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. CHAFENS

CHAFENS New Member

hey guy's how's it going. i have over 6 years deckhand experience on these fish tug's,they are built for the great lakes,i think tad is right , the ocean swells to big,long and nasty for these vessels.but in saying that i have seen some bad weather on lake erie,15 foot waves, not a nice time, as for payload way off,the boat with the blue turtle(bow) is a gill netter,a lot of boats trawl as well,trawl gear at least 1500 pounds,the boat u have pictured would carry 20 tote's of smelt, day's catch, each tote has 600 pounds of smelt,then ice and water, so 20 tote's 12000 pounds.and she could carry this in rough conditions. this is a picture of me and my brother pulling trawl net in the stern notice tilt to deck,we are in about 6foot sea,there's 10 tote's of smelt on deck,the bigger fish are walleye,

Attached Files:

12. CHAFENS

CHAFENS New Member

oh ya as for the benford now there's a coffin better hang on if its rough

13. amjad357

amjad357 Amjad

http://www.gulfcraftinc.com/

14. ZaaraWilson

ZaaraWilson Previous Member

Nice Canadian Boat!!

[​IMG]

15. gilberj

gilberj Junior Member

Jay Benford understands very well the fundamental needs for his designs to be seaworthy. The have good watertight integrity, good initial stability and adequate range of stability, and general fitness for the intended voyage. This boat would probably be uncomfortable in a seaway but how many pleasure boaters wandering around the ICW between the Carolina's and Florida want to go out when it is rough....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.