Stability in very small boats (e.g. kayaks)

Discussion in 'Stability' started by icetreader, Oct 28, 2010.

1. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

This is a collection of demo movies showing various aspects of stability in kayaks
    The application is in kayak fishing, touring, stand up paddling (SUP) etc.
    This invention is protected by US utility patent #6871608

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sea kayaks......I wonder what affect on stability a big " noah's ark " coming up for a close look might have.....when the crew s*** themselves.....and I am only half joking.

3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Not as bad as you might think. We bob up and down pretty well.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Oh dear...perhaps someone should have told him that putting 2 hulls side by side has been done before. The exact date and location varies from Malaysia/India to French Polynesia...all circa 2~3,000 years ago. Commonly called a 'catamaran' and seen the world over in various forms!

If this "invetion" becomes a patent, one can only laugh at the stupidity of the approval officers:eek:

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

:eek:

You have invented a catamaran? LOL!!! :D :D

I'm affraid your patent is being infringed all around the world on a daily (or hourly?) basis... By quite some time, as Ad Hoc has pointed out.

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Stability is a State of Mind.

Kinda a Kool Toy.

Not reallay a Kayak and not really a Catamaran.

Lets call it a Catarack!

You may want to replace this little Slogan
    Don't try it yourself - It's extremely dangerous (2007)

With something more people will understand.

Here use this instead

"Hold My Beer and Watch this!"

Those Little boats would work very well for Duck Hunting. If you want to camo up a couple, add some gun holders and Decoy storage with a Camo Fabric roof

bring them up to Maine and well field test them in the Scarborough Marsh.

I belive that they are better suited for Rowing than they are for paddling but hey, People will buy anything ( Proof: They Voted for Obama)

They need a place to mount a little 2 hp motor and maybe a Lateen Sail rig would be a nice option

Capt Walt

Master Maine Guide

I was going to give a long dissetation regarding the types and advantages of various hull configurations on stability. But Hey Ill save that for a serious discussion. Or Even Better.

If anyone needs a " Consultant, I work at reasonable rates.

Old Fasioned; New Fangled Engineering idea. Form follows Funtion.

Capt Walt

WickedGoodOutdoors@Maine.rr.com

[​IMG]

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

That's a hellof lot of work to paddle a barge. I think a tractor innertube with a plywood bottom tied on would work better.

8. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

But they aren't kayaks unless the definition of a kayak is a simple, low, paddle-propelled boat that's about 12 ft long that is made from polyethelene. They are catamarans.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

With all that surface area, I'll bet they paddle like crap, maneuverability certainly would be sluggish, to say the least, not to mention the weight issue that must be present.

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

12. PAR

I didn't watch any video, I just saw the opening frame of each clip and it's pretty obvious to anyone with any level of training.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The cataract is another variation on the sit-on-top kayak theme. Many SOT kayaks have a tunnel so are effectively catamarans, that’s not new. They all share the same advantages and disadvantages to various degrees, more stability, more drag, more weight etc.

A regular kayak will slide over a floating treetrunk and paddle around anything else in the water. I don’t know why people want to paddle a boat standing up; a yuloh is easier and more effective. Almost anything that floats is better than a kayak for fishing. The rowing kayak is a joke compared to a decent rowboat. It does have more space than a kayak, but not as much as a canoe. Don't, whatever you do, try to take it down a whitewater course!

SOT kayaks are great for kids to splash around on and jump in and out of. I have to admit it has my canoes and kayaks beat when it comes to getting up on ice, but if the ice is not strong enough for that you will have to force a wider track through the ice than I need to.

14. PAR

The only time I'm in the boat forcing ice to do things, is when the chunks are too big for the glass I'm drinking out of. You guys got it rough up there.

15. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

As the scratches on the bottom of mine can attest. Maybe I should rename it the rock detector

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.