stability criteria for cutter suction dredger

Discussion in 'Stability' started by athvas, Jul 10, 2013.

1. athvas

athvas Senior Member

Is there any stability criteria for cutter suction dredger (non propelled) as per IMO. I have attached the sample picture of the CSD. Do we need to follow the stability criteria for pontoons? Plz suggest.

Attached Files:

• csd.jpg
      csd.jpg
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
  2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The extraction system does not necessarily affects the stability of the dredger. It could make necessary to consider the action of the weight of the head in a certain position, but nothing else.
    The storage system of the load, there is a possibility that a mixture of mud, stones and water, does determine the stability and results in special studies.
    The fact that the discharge occurs through the bottom door, does affect the stability and results in other specific studies.
    Could you be more precise about the type of dredge that you need to study?

3. athvas

athvas Senior Member

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The stability criteria set minimum or maximum values ​​of a certain parameter for given loading conditions of the ship. What load conditions do you want to study?.
    Dredges are not barges and, therefore, not generally apply to them the criteria of barges. I'm not playing with words, I mean that their problems, when loaded and operating, may be very different.
    Classification Societies determine certain criteria and certain studies to be performed for these cases: dredges.

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

That was a fancy rigging in the YouTube vid.
    The one used in Cameron Louisiana to muck out the River channel was not that fancy.
    The engines were on a Barge. The siphon/grinder was on the up river end of the barge, and the (huge 48" or more) output tubing went straight out the back of the Barge, over to the River bank, downstream a couple miles and across the river, up onto "monkey island" making a large plat of land.
    I never heard of any stability problems in that operation.
    Tug's & Ocean cargo ships went by the Dredge with no letup on the Dredge operation.
    That operation would take a little research.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.