offsets, how to minimise

Discussion in 'Software' started by lazeyjack, Jul 21, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

how, people, can I just get sheer, a couple wl, a couple butts and chines from freeship, when I export, I get 20 squiilion offsets from 30 squiilion wl, butts etc
    thanks eversoinanticipation

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I am assuming you are exporting an Offset text file.

Before exporting, go to the menu <Calculation><Intersections>. You get a little window that allows you to set the number of stations, buttocks and waterlines. I usually delete what is there and set my own. There is a rubbish bin to delete all and the +N will allow you to set a new range with a nominated spacing.

If you only want waterlines in the offset file then do not set any stations or buttocks.

1 person likes this.
  3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

wow thanks so much now lemme try

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

does not work, all numbers still there and if I say save 3 butts 3 wl, close file, and reopen, all the wl and Butts are still on the views? and advise, i sent PM to you

5. Guest625101138

I have attached the text file I get when exporting offsets from the default hull with all but waterlines deleted and the waterlines set to at 0.3m spacing. This was produced with the model precision set to medium. You gety fewer points on the waterline if you reduce the precision.

Is this the sort of thing you are after? If not I need a bit more explanation.

Rick W.

Attached Files:

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok R some progress BUT
    sayn buttocks, say 500 out so height will go most of the way along, but the offsets are given random, not at the station?

7. Guest625101138

The only way I have found of getting the offsets to intersect at nice numbers is to export to Michlet because you can specify the number of waterlines and stations. But this takes some data manipulation in something like Excel to get tables that are easy to understand. (you also have to set the draft below the top of the hull because michlet is only interested in the hull below the water.

I have looked for ways to get nice round numbers at intersections but have only found that you can reduce the number of intersections by reducing the precision.

One thing I have not tried is to set the hull length and draught to a box that it bigger trhan the hull and gives nice round numbers when it is divided by the preset number of intersections. I think 31 stations at Medium precision.

Also if there a bumps on the hull then you get more intersections than just at the preset stations.

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

heck, I think, thats too hard, but one more query(for now) , I can see the co ords change with mouse when all four views are vis but select say profile, the co ords are not visable as the mouse moves
    this must be only prog that gives random places for offsets as all the boats I have build came wiht tables that gave the offsets at each station, autoship, was the programme my designer(adsmar) used, oh well I,ll just have to wait for Windvang to do it for me, hes in Netherlands and I commisioned him to do this stuff, I just wanted to loft out to do some woodwork on the interior

9. Guest625101138

I checked this and the co-ordinates show at the very top of the window in the blue bar when I have one full size window.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I have found that if your file is too many folders away from the root it bumps the co-ordinates off the screen to the right when you are looking at a single window, but with four views on the display each window will diplay the co-ordinates.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.